//some 3rd party need geo

Virtual Memory NOT

pcnerd 20:07 18 Nov 05

Hi ther , could anybody give some advice re Virtual Memory.I keep getting msgs saying windows is trying to increase my virtual memory.As i am running low. Any ideas how I can increase this myself?

VoG II 22:00 18 Nov 05

Start, Control Panel, System, Advanced tab, Performance-Settings button, Advanced tab, Change button...

VoG II 22:03 18 Nov 05

Also click here

agent 47 09:14 24 Nov 05

it is the amount of memory on your machine,
and windows uses up a certain amount of memory to run,
also if you have any programs running in the background, this too will use up more memory,
so you will be left with whatever you have left, if any?
and when you play games or run other programs etc....
there is no memory left to run these,
so windows virtual memory trys to compensate this.
you will either have to install more memory or close down any programs you have running in the background.

gudgulf 10:13 24 Nov 05

How much RAM memory have you got on your system?

If you have relatively little then Windows will initially set the Virtual memory at a relativcly low level.By default in XP that initial value is 1.5x the amount of RAM

For example I you have 256MB RAM then Windows will set an initial value of 384MB.

If the programs that load at start up AND the amount of memory required by your running program(s) exceeds the toal of your RAM, PLUS the virtual memory then Windows will increase the size of the Virtual memory to cope.

Windows will tell you it is doing that......hence the warning message you get.

You don't need to do anything to the virtual memory settings.....Windows is doing its job properly.Setting a fixed upper limit could cause you problems if it is set too low.

What you do need to do is check what programs are running at start up and see if you can reduce that number.You also need to look at the requirements for the programs you are running and make sure the amount of RAM at least matches those.

You need to add more RAM memory.......The virtual memory is on the hard drive and is much much slower than RAM memory.If Windows keeps increasing the size of your virtual memory it is clear that your programs are running using mostly this much slower memory.Ideally you need to have enough RAM to cope with all your running programs........your computer will run a lot faster if you have.

pcnerd 17:52 24 Nov 05

Thanks guys/gals I am going to try and add some ram onto my pc

pcnerd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…