Virtual memory gaming problem

TommyRed 19:59 19 May 04

Just installed Soldier of Fortune II Double Helix but the game is painfully slow to load and when it does I'm in like slow motion which makes it extremely dificult to shoot anything before it shoots me. When I eventually give up this pop-up message appears from the System Tray. "WINDOWS - VIRTUAL MEMORY MINIMUM TOO LOW Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more info, see help" I have an e-machines 420, 2.60GHz celeron, 80Gb HDD (16Gb used), 3D AGP Intel extreme graphics with 256MB RAM & OS XP. Is it a RAM thing, 'cos min req's where 128Mb for this game. TIA TR

Old Shep 20:04 19 May 04

Looks like your paging file is not latge enough click here

TommyRed 20:26 19 May 04

According to the instructions on your link the maximum size of the page file should be 3 times your RAM which is what it's set at Would more RAM help? TR

Old Shep 20:44 19 May 04

As you are running XP I would think it would as that eats up the memory and you only have 256mb.

gudgulf 20:45 19 May 04

Sounds like you have on-board graphics which are sharing the ram with the rest of the pc.

Windows xp likes lots of ram,as do a lot of games----and this is your problem.

Upgrade the ram to 512Mb minimum and you will see a big improvement--you should also consider adding a seperate graphics card with its own memory cache which will improve thing further still(the majority of on-board graphics chips are not up to the demands of pc gaming).

Old Shep 20:47 19 May 04

Is your paging file set at Let Windows Decide (or something like that) or did you set it yourself. There is an article on it in the latest PCA on page 158.

whatsupdoc 20:48 19 May 04

same specs as your computer ive now got 1gig ram
and it flies along with graphics at full res on flight sim2003. get more ram and your onboard grahics should be ok.

whatsupdoc 20:48 19 May 04

same specs as your computer ive now got 1gig ram
and it flies along with graphics at full res on flight sim2003. get more ram and your onboard grahics should be ok.

TommyRed 20:57 19 May 04

Believe it or not some kind soul on here sent me a graphics card which I received this morning after I posted whether or not my system could cope with this game. I'll check tomorrow if I've got the AGP slot needed to install it. Thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…