Virtual Memory

lucky1 20:42 05 Feb 10

I'm using an Acer notebook with Windows XP as OS. Very occasionally I get a message concerning lack of Virtual Memory and that Windows will rectify the problem. Excuse my ignorance but what is Virtual Memory and how do I go about rectifying the problem? Thanks.

northumbria61 20:50 05 Feb 10

If you do not have enough virtual memeory, increase it.

Right click My Computer. Click Properties > Advanced. The first Settings then Advanced Again. Go to the bottom of the Window and Click change. From there you can change your virtual memory.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:50 05 Feb 10

Virtual memory is space on the hard drive that is used by windows to store files instead of using the memory.

Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

northumbria61 20:52 05 Feb 10

Hi lucky1 - LINK below describes Virtual Memory

click here

lucky1 21:16 05 Feb 10

Thank you gentlemen for your speedy responses and I will do as you suggest. Fruitbat, it's good to see a familiar 'name' from way back when. Due to illness I have been away from pcadvisor for over a year. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…