Virtual Memory

micklemouse 08:44 13 May 06

I am now one of the people who has had the message 'Virtual Memory too low' and was told that it would be increased in size thus reducing space on my hard drive, and that some applications might not function any more due to lack of hdd space.

Well I have always cleaned my computer every day with CCleaner and defragged regularly. I have also checked some figures to put in here, just to see if anyone can offer advice what to do.

HDD is 5.46 used
13.6 free
19.0 capacity

In Task Manager, under Performance, the Commit Charge readings are as follows;

Total 296396
Limit 640524
Peak 318784

And my minium Page File size which I found in Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance is 384Mb. My RAM is 256Mb.

It seems that my paging file minimum file size hasn't changed. But what concerns me and why I've posted this, is because I don't know if it's something serious. I have been meaning to upgrade my memory now for some time. Another alternative, and a cheaper one, would be to totally reinstall XP. At least it would give me something to do for the day.

Advice please, for a worried non-techie.

saintorsinner 09:17 13 May 06

I wouldnt worry about it. 256Mb RAM is a little small for todays memory hungry programs but nothing to worry about. Just let windows do its job you have plenty H.Disk space. If you do want to try something just increase the MAX Page file size to 1gb.

strech 09:18 13 May 06

control panel then system the click on advanced
then parformance settings the click advanced again and change virtual memory from there
it worked for me

ed-0 09:31 13 May 06

It's nothing serious and you do have plenty of spare hard drive space.

Buy some more memory when you can afford it.

For the time being increase the minimum and maximum page file to 1000Mb each.

This should tie you over for the time being.

click here

micklemouse 09:31 13 May 06

But when it said some applications wouldn't function anymore it turned my blood cold. Maybe I misread it?

micklemouse 09:34 13 May 06

money in the kitty then for more RAM. I think I see a litle light in the distance.

micklemouse 09:36 13 May 06

I am also going to make a change in my ISP which is AOL 9.0 It comes with massive software which I don't need. This might help along with uncluttering the taskbar with startups which are unnecessary. Spy Sweeper is a culprit for slowdown too.

ed-0 09:40 13 May 06

I don't know what sort of memory you have but PCWorld are doing plain pc3200 ( 400Mhz ) @ £29 for a 512Mb stick. Thats not bad for an instant boost, if the machine and operating system can take it?

If you are unsure on what type of ram you have, download free cpu-z click here Use the spd tab o find what you have or the motherboard tab to check the manual.

micklemouse 09:48 13 May 06

well, ed-0, both Packard Bell and Crucial.com say this has a capacity for 512Mb; although I did once try to change a 128 card for a 256 one, it wouldn't accept it/read it. That one was from PCWorld! And yes it was SDRAM PC133 etc with the right number of pins. The man at Crucial was told me that he was certain this comp would reach 512 with the right card. So I will order from them I think. Does cost a bit more tho, but not much.

ed-0 10:15 13 May 06

You must have a slightly older computer, one that takes sdram with a limit of 512Mb.

Increasing it to 512Mb would give it a extra zip as would increasing the virtual memory / page file.

You could try and slim down the computer to ease the strain on what memory you have. in task manager > performance. How many processes are you running? over 28?, you could trim them down.

Start > run > msconfig > startup. You can untick everything in there, except your AV and personal firewall if you have one. Reboot and put a tick in the warning box about running msconfig.

micklemouse 11:16 13 May 06

I have looked in Processes as you told me to, and see I have 41 processes running, can't tell what they all though. Is that a large amount to be running? I have no idea!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009