Virtual memory

Pidder 18:38 28 Feb 06

Have a laptop running XP with 256 RAM. I keep getting a message of "Virtual Memory too low and Windows is increasing it". Would adding more RAM be any significant benefit? Think I could double it, is it worth the effort, I don't notice any real slowing down when I get the above message. Thanks.

ed-0 18:44 28 Feb 06

Adding more physical memory would be a good idea, double it to 512Mb if you can.

In the short term alter the virtual memory to a decent size, see if that fixes the problem for the moment.

If you have plenty of hard drive space, set the min and max page file to 1,000Mb.

anskyber 18:46 28 Feb 06

What are you doing when you get the message? Are you using a memory hungry programme lkike games? The short answer is more RAM should certainly help I increased mine to 512 (by using Crucial web site) and it has been better.

anskyber 18:51 28 Feb 06
  ed-0 18:53 28 Feb 06

To change;

control panel > system > advanced > performance > advanced > virtual memory > change. If you have just one partition on the drive, click C and customed size. Like this click here. Pick set and then OK.

Pidder 18:57 28 Feb 06

Thanks everyone. I'm usually only surfing. I did suspect the amount of RAM was the cause but was reluctant to upset the present system. I understand the usual advice is to let Windows handle the amount of VM. If I increased the RAM would Windows automatically increase the amount of VM?

ed-0 18:59 28 Feb 06

Yes, but just the top end.

Pidder 19:02 28 Feb 06

Sorry, what do you mean by the top end?

ed-0 19:14 28 Feb 06

Sorry. The maximum virtual memory size windows thinks you will need with the extra ammount of ram.

Your page file at the moment may be 2Mb minimum and say 376Mb maximum ( top end).

If you add more ram, windows may alter this to say 2Mb minimum and say 600Mb ( top end ).

I always think it is better to have your swap file fixed the same for min and max. This is just my personal preference as it cuts down on fragmentation on the hard drive.

Pidder 20:22 28 Feb 06

Thanks, I understand.

ed-0 20:35 28 Feb 06

No problem ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac