Virtual Memory

EFC1878 23:22 28 Mar 05

Whislt using Nero 6 to create photsldie shows (you will see from my earlier treads I am a newcomer to the process) I keep getting a message to say thta my virtual memory is low.

Can anybody tell me what this is? What does it do? How can I successfully addres the problem?

AndySD 23:27 28 Mar 05

click here and have a read.

spuds 23:34 28 Mar 05

Virtual memory click here

EFC1878 23:41 28 Mar 05

Cheers for getting back to me so quickly. Had a quick look at the link you set A detailed read that I will need to take more time over to digest the advice.

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 23:42 28 Mar 05

and turn everything else off while your using nero, even your anti virus & firewall, [make sure your disconnected]is it an old comp?

EFC1878 23:44 28 Mar 05

No less than year old. 2.4GHZ 512mb RAM and plenty of hard space left.

Will have to look at closing other apps down when using Nero as you suggest

Cheers

Paranoid Android 23:50 28 Mar 05

Virtual memory is when your PC uses an area of the hard disk (sometimes called a swap file or paging file) as though it was memory.

The advantage of this is that applications can have access to more memory than the amount of physical RAM in your system.

The disadvantage is that the virtual memory works at hard disk speed, not memory speed, and is therefore S L O W.

As a general rule of thumb, a healthy system should have a swap file of between one and two times the amount of physical RAM.

The message you are getting may indicate that you don't have enough physical RAM installed. For Windows 98 I would recommend 256 MB system RAM, no more, no less. For Windows 2000 and XP I would recommend a minimum of 512 MB.

Marvin

Paranoid Android 23:52 28 Mar 05

Ooops - crossed with your last posting.

Marv.

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 23:58 28 Mar 05

512mb should be enough for what your doing, UNLESS you had lots of other progs running at the same time. if you didnt, hmmm,,, is your virtual memory system managed or is it at a set amount?

EFC1878 20:25 29 Mar 05

Thanks to both of you for the comments.

I am wondering idf it to do with the number of processes running.

Pressing ctrl+alt+del to open task manager indicates that I have 54 processes running!!

I will close thes edown - apart from the system ones - and have another go to see if that improves things.

Cheers

AndySD 20:36 29 Mar 05

Use the list from the page I gave you to stop programs starting when windows loads. Also turn off unneeded processes click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…