Virtual memory

Loomis 19:39 15 Mar 05

When I log onto the internet the last few times, I get a window advising me that "Your system is low on virtual memory, windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file." Is there any way for me to manually increase the size of virtual memory paging file?

Thank you

PA28 19:48 15 Mar 05

In XP right click on My Computer, Properties, Advanced. You'll find the necessary adjustment sliders there.

gudgulf 20:33 15 Mar 05

What version of Windows are you using and how much RAM memory have you got?

gudgulf 22:19 15 Mar 05

Via envelope:

Windows XP and 240MB of RAM

It's normally better to post any response rather than mailing as that way everyone gets a chance to answer.

To be honest that's what I was expecting to hear.When windows sets the virtual memory it can increase the size to what it needs....let it for now as you would need to manually select a high value of around 1GB or more.If you manually set the value too low and Windows wants more than that value + the RAM you have it can cause the pc to crash.What you really need here is more RAM.Windows Xp really needs 512MB or more to run smoothly and if you keep getting messages that the virtual memory is being increased I'm guessing you are running some memory hungry programs as well as Xp. To make a quick check of how much memory you are using right click on the task bar and then click on "task manager".Select the "performance" tab and look at the values given under "PF usage" and "Physical Memory(K)" (total and available values).Post the results back here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac