Virtual memory

nick_j007 10:58 22 Jul 04

Just wishing to check my settings here please.

I now have 512MB of Ram on my dell laptop with two drives in it also. C drive is as supplied and an extra drive I call 'X' to keep my photo's and music on.

My virtual memory is set to custom at 766MB for initial and 766MB for maximum on drives C & X.

Recommended for all drives 766MB, my total for all drives 1532MB (should this be 766?).

Should I perhaps set it for drive C only?

Thank you in advance.

Nick

Auron476 11:40 22 Jul 04

Follow these links -

If you have Windows XP -

click here

Or if you have Windows ME -

click here

Good site with lots of info on the Windows OS.

nick_j007 13:34 22 Jul 04

Thanks Auron476, I have had a look through this (been to this site before) but it didn't seem to really 'talk' to me re my query.

Any other takers on the question? :-)

Nick

sanpat 13:51 22 Jul 04

I cannot see why you would have virtual memory on both drives. Normally it is just on the drive holding the OS but there are advantages in setting up virtual memory on a seperate drive from the OS as it can improve performance.Then windows uses that as the page file.

I think that in the absence of further details you should just let windows manage the virtual memory, in which case it will be on the C drive only.

sanpat

Diodorus Siculus 13:55 22 Jul 04

click here for some good info on swapfiles.

nick_j007 14:49 22 Jul 04

Thank you.

I'm sorry, I should have said I'm on XP.

I'll set it to drive C then, and let windows manage it.

Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…