Virtual memory

KPC 17:15 30 Dec 03

I have recently installed a strip of memory making my system now 512 MB using windows xp pro.
I have also been told to check the virtual memory settings. What should these values be and how do i set them.

Virtual memory should be i believe about 1.5 times more than the amount of memory you have.

So for 512mb Ram you need 768 mb Virtual memory

To set this right click on my computer-> properties ->advanced -> performance options -> advanced

KPC 17:21 30 Dec 03

there are two boxes, should the values be the same or different.

KPC 17:26 30 Dec 03

there are 2 boxes, wat should the min setting be.

Bill H 17:33 30 Dec 03

KPC

Although hardened gamers will say it slows things down marginally, you can tick the box that lets Windows choose how much Virtual Memory it needs and let it manage it 'variably' (as is its default). The system will speed up marginally by setting/capping the Virtual Memory size but it depends how hard you're driving the pc.

intial size to 768 and the maximum size to 1536mb.

canard 17:46 30 Dec 03

Some advise that min and max are set the same. If the other suggestions don't work well try it. My first PC liked it best. My new PC only likes let windows do it for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…