Virtual Drive Win98SE

saxman 17:00 23 Nov 07

I am trying to load Win98SE onto a virtual drive which is running on my PC with WinXP Pro as the O/S. as discussed in PCadvisor Pg 139 in the Dec issue. As I recall this CD does not run on bootup you must bootup to the A drive and run the setup on the CD from the DOS O/S loaded. I have put the CD and floppy in the appropriate drives and I receive a message saying that it requires a 1.4M floppy in the A drive which of course it has.
Can anyone please advise me on how to continue.
This is the first time I have tried to do this op. and I dont seem able to progress

rossgolf 17:04 23 Nov 07

well when i tried to re install windows a couple of weeks ago i tried to use a windows 98se boot flopy then i was told it wouldnt work becuase my hard drive is over 40gb's (or20). are you tryin to put windows 98 onto it and overrite xp?

brundle 17:20 23 Nov 07

98SE comes on a bootable CDROM, no need for boot floppies.

pk46 17:29 23 Nov 07

The boot sector in the bios must be set to first boot floppy you must also format the drive and create a DOS partition and make it active i should point out use NO MORE THAN 512MG with W98 or it will lock up i never went above 384MG.
You will have MOBO driver problems if your computer is new as there is no support for this OS,i run W98 on my 8 year old HP Brio.

pk46 17:32 23 Nov 07

Hard drive in my old Brio is 80GB thats the max i would use with W98.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:34 23 Nov 07

just run setup from the CD and point the (* install to the virtual PC.

saxman 17:33 07 Dec 07

I have given up on windows98 so I have tried to install Linux instead. All seems to be well until I get 'Virtual machine error (13)'message on screen. What does this mean ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced