Virtual drive

miniman79 19:16 21 Aug 05

You often here "a virtual drive is installed".
What is the purpose of a virtual drive. If you only have one CD Writer then you need that to run the CD?!

Completealias 19:21 21 Aug 05

These programs create virtual drives on you pc that emulate a cd drive. Then using your cd drive you create a image of the cd's and then mount them onto the virtual drive thus eliminating the need for the cd to be in the draw to use the program.

miniman79 19:31 21 Aug 05

Thanks! Now I know why!

Audeal 22:03 21 Aug 05

A virtual drive is not necessary if using a CD program which requires the CD to be inserted to access the data, eg. "Autoroute".

My method is to open a folder on the drive where I wish to store the data from the CD, then copy the whole CD into this folder and then Install the program from the folder and not from the CD.

When the program needs any data from the CD it will take it from the folder on the hard drive instead. This will also make accessing the data faster as a hard drive is faster than a CD. Your CD will no longer be needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…