virtual device driver problems

presidente 20:21 27 Nov 03

Whilst trying to "De-Demo game" my cousins computer I think I got a bit carried away and deleted one file too many!
It is a Compaq Presario 5456 466mhz, windows 98se ( never updated, never modified) machine.

I used the Add/Remove utility on the conrol panel for most part, i installed Tweakui for other parts and then manual deletion from Explorer for the stubborn programs.

The problem is with a virtual device driver scsi1hlp (version 4)

Now every time i put in a cd/dvd into the drive i get the following Blue screen warning after a few seconds and i cannot eject the media or do a Ctrl + Alt + Delete closure:

data cd=
an Exception OE has occured at 0028:000000c4 in VxD ---. This was called from 0028: C1832738 in VxD scsi1hlp(03) + 00000508

music cd =
an exception OE has occured at 0028: c18327B3 in VxD scsi1hlp (03) + 00000583

To remedy this, is it a simple case of renewing the driver from Microsoft or is this just the start of a cascade of "Blue screens"?

Gongoozler 20:55 27 Nov 03

Hi presidente. I've done a bit of research via Google. It appears that the loss of scsihlp.vxd shouldn't give any problem unless you have a scsi drive. If you need to, you should be able to replace the file from your Windows cd. I found a reference to almost exactly your error message in a Google translation of an Italian web site, but the advice given was that either a badly connected ide cable or a faulty cd drive was the most likely cause.

presidente 20:23 03 Dec 03

Thanks Gongoozler, I actually reformatted the hard drive back to its original status using the windows cd that came with the comp but had to attatch another cd drive in order to do it. The second driver worked fine but after re-installation and replacing the original drive the problem resurfaced. My advice to my cousin was to replace the drive. Heck it was about time he spent some money on the poor thing!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…