Virgin.net 24seven problems

Brazils 09:49 19 Oct 03

Is anyone else having problems. I have updated to the new number ending in 030.

I have no viruses, or settings wrong on my computer.

I find that about 80% of the time I have problems. When I do connect, I end up with loads of site error messages, and my email keeps asking for the passwords. I have noticed that there is hardly any data coming to my PC (100 bytes in 30 seconds). Also dropped lines.

I read here somewhere that there is a second number ending in 070. When I use this I have no problems. I have contacted Virgin, but so far I have had no response (except the automated one).

I have tested Virgin by swapping numbers and the 030 keeps giving me problems 80% of the time, 070 never. The problems are more likely at between 5pm and 7pm. Seems like they are unable to cope.

I have been with Virgin forever, and normally they are great, so I am reluctant to change.

Does anyone know if it's OK to keep using the 070 number as I don't want a huge bill?

Fateful Shadow 10:10 19 Oct 03

I have found that too. I haven't changed my number but I am finding that when I connect (now more often than not)I am having to disconnect and reconnect.

Virgin sent an e-mail out apologising for odd things happening with their service, as they are doing virus checks and stuff. This could possibly be why, but I know the feeling. It can be very annoying. I think I'm just impatient though!

Brazils 10:44 19 Oct 03

I got the same message, and also one to change my dial up number.

If its because of problems they are having, then I wonder why is the other number working fine?

Do you want to try the other number?

cheers

Leejg 11:00 19 Oct 03

Brazils

I've been having the same problems for months now. I've been in touch with their customer services many times and they seem to be blaming it on the increased usaged on the internet after the recent virus problems, but I have no problems at all with my back up connection(Firefly).
One tip the did give me that seemed to work for a while is dropping your maximum connection speed on your modem to 57000.
I've decided to cancel and look elsewhere because I don't think the're being honest about the problems they are having.

Lee

Brazils 11:15 19 Oct 03

I agree. I think there are bigger problems than they are letting on. I find they seem to think everything is fixed by checking your PC for viruses. They seem to have no answer if you say that this is not the reason. When I say no answer, I mean that they do not reply!

Why does this 070 number work so well I wonder?

Is the 030 number used by 90% of their users and the servers can't cope I wonder. 070 may connect to different servers?

Leejg 11:29 19 Oct 03

Brazils

I've not been using the 070 number much because when I have problems with 030 it usally means the two other numbers I've got (069,070) have the same problems. Do you find that 070 is more reliable?

I was reluctant to cancel because before they were v good.

They also said that contracted services use different connections than Pay as you go so that is why my firefly connection was a lot better does any body know why?

ardvarc 11:40 19 Oct 03

I changed my email address and Virgin gave me a new dialup number - 070 from 069 and I have a good connection of 49.2 - 50.6kBps, always have. I started out with Virgin in 1997 and only changed when they started the unmetred trial and I wasn't invited. I came back when they started the unmetred access package and have had very few problems since. I live in the North East so I don't know if it is a regional thing as there was a thread about this and it was mostly in the Southern regions. Only gripe is that my exchange won't be upgraded to BB for a year or more.

Brazils 13:46 19 Oct 03

I find 070 more reliable. Saying that, 030 has been good today!

I am also frustrated with the fact that i can't get BB!

Is the 070 number unmetered or Pay as you go?

Cheers

Proxy Worm 13:58 19 Oct 03

i have the new 030 number which sometimes i have to dial about three times to connect to, either msn messenger would not work or either the internet will not load and it would say page could not be found.

mark e 14:14 19 Oct 03

I get the same with BB dropped connections mail both in and out going timeouts asking for passwords and this is all in the last month.

you were lucky to get an email from them, I think I'm a mushroom. when i email them they don't ever respond.

I am so fed up with the service I am thinking of changing. I have been with them since they started out, and been through all the tarrifs and personaly think 24/7 was the best for all round service.

Brazils 15:07 19 Oct 03

I was with them at the start as well. This is very unlike them. I have the same symptoms as Proxy Worm.

This has been going on for weeks. it will be a disaster for Virgin.

Perhaps Virgin has decided it doesn't want to supply 24seven anymore and is trying to piss us all off???!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…