virginmedia supper hub

trainman 2 10:16 AM 15 May 12

Hi can anyone let me know if it is possible to connect a router to to the virgin supper hub combined modem router. my virgen cable comes into the house at a remote corner, i would like to connect by Ethernet cable to a router in the centre of the house if possible. Many thanks trainman2

PSF 11:49 AM 15 May 12

Rather than using a router you can use a network switch instead. you can get different sizes depending on how may pc's you want to connect to it. There is an example one here they are straight forward to install, just connect the switch to your Virgin hub in one of the 4 output sockets and then connect your pc's to the switch. They should all work then, if not restart hub switch and pc's and they will then be assigned an IP address.

The first example is a GB switch, if your pc's are all 10/100/1000 compatable and you are using the 100MB Virgin service you will get full speed on all pc's. If not you can get a cheaper switch which is 10/100

mgmcc 12:09 PM 15 May 12

Some users have indeed connected a second wireless router to the Virgin Super Hub, generally because they have found their existing router to have a better wireless performance than the Super Hub. (I'll find out for myself when/if my Super Hub is delivered on Thursday!)

sharpamat 12:22 PM 15 May 12

My advise would be contact Virgin for a longer lead from the socket to where you wish to place your hub hence no need for Ethernet cable.

Input Overload 18:54 PM 15 May 12

Enable modem mode in the hub preferances the hub then just functions as a cable modem.

Input Overload 18:56 PM 15 May 12

As the ULR don't work this is copied from the above failed page:

Enabling modem mode allows you to connect your own wireless router to the Super Hub, effectively turning the Super Hub into a stand alone DOCSIS3 cable modem.

To enable modem mode on your Super Hub

1. Make sure you are connected (wired or wirelessly) to your Super Hub.

2. Open your Internet browser.

3. Log in to your Super Hub's administration interface by entering into the address bar (not the search bar) of your Internet browser. If you have changed the IP address of your Super Hub, you will need to enter its new address into the address bar instead.

4. Enter your Super Hub's administration username and password. The default details are printed on the back of their Super Hub. If you have changed the default username or password, enter those details instead.

5. Once you've logged in, click Advanced Settings at the bottom of the screen to access the Super Hub's Advanced Settings page.

6. Click Modem Mode on the left-hand menu. If you don't see the Modem Mode option, reboot your Super Hub by disconnecting and reconnecting its power supply, and the new firmware will be downloaded.

Input Overload 18:57 PM 15 May 12

Or search for 'modem mode virgin superhub' in Google or Yahoo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

HDR video: Everything you need to know

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know