Virgin wireless help, please?

nicgrant 19:39 03 Jun 08

I have just subscribed to Virgin BB, I have their cable modem and have puchased from them a Netgear WGR614 Wireless router. My laptop is a Advent 8212 with a Wireless LAN 4965AGN and operating Vista Home.
I have tried connecting to the router using then installation disk, which loads the Virgin Wireless Manager. This fails to find the router. It does work if I connect the cable to the router from the laptop.
Can anyone help me, please?

brundle 19:54 03 Jun 08

No need for Virgin software, just another wireless manager on top of the two you already have (Vista built-in, Acer probably have one running too).
Connect router to modem, read this guide on how to connect; click here

Ashrich 23:28 03 Jun 08

Has the Virgin cable modem been connected to your PC before you bought the wireless router ? If so you will need to power it down ( off ) for at least 15 minutes for it to " forget " the fact that it has " bound " itself to the MAC address of your laptop , it needs to bind to the router instead . With everything turned off do all the necessary connections using the supplied ethernet cables , then turn on the modem , leave it to settle , then turn on the router again leave to settle , then finally the PC , access the router set up pages and sort out some wireless security and change the SSID of the router to something other than NETGEAR . Scan for wireless networks from the laptop and select yours , enter the security key you previously set and click on connect , Vista will remember the settings and automatically re-connect on next boot .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017