Virgin wireless help, please?

nicgrant 19:39 03 Jun 08

I have just subscribed to Virgin BB, I have their cable modem and have puchased from them a Netgear WGR614 Wireless router. My laptop is a Advent 8212 with a Wireless LAN 4965AGN and operating Vista Home.
I have tried connecting to the router using then installation disk, which loads the Virgin Wireless Manager. This fails to find the router. It does work if I connect the cable to the router from the laptop.
Can anyone help me, please?

brundle 19:54 03 Jun 08

No need for Virgin software, just another wireless manager on top of the two you already have (Vista built-in, Acer probably have one running too).
Connect router to modem, read this guide on how to connect; click here

Ashrich 23:28 03 Jun 08

Has the Virgin cable modem been connected to your PC before you bought the wireless router ? If so you will need to power it down ( off ) for at least 15 minutes for it to " forget " the fact that it has " bound " itself to the MAC address of your laptop , it needs to bind to the router instead . With everything turned off do all the necessary connections using the supplied ethernet cables , then turn on the modem , leave it to settle , then turn on the router again leave to settle , then finally the PC , access the router set up pages and sort out some wireless security and change the SSID of the router to something other than NETGEAR . Scan for wireless networks from the laptop and select yours , enter the security key you previously set and click on connect , Vista will remember the settings and automatically re-connect on next boot .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…