virgin update failed

redsusan 10:29 21 Oct 07

This morning a went to my PC and there was a load of warnings popped up all telling me to download there protection.
I have windows xp service pack 2
Now when i went to bed last night all was well but i left my son logged on to do some work, and i think he may have done something to cause this,
a did a system restore to yesterday after running virgin anti virus ,which found nothing, also ran ad-aware and avg then ccleaner,
The pop ups stopped but when i reboot i'm told virgin update failed,whats happening? can you help please
Susan

brundle 11:19 21 Oct 07

Seeing as you have already done scans with a few of the programs regularly recommended here and found nothing, I am guessing PCGuard is generating the warnings and it's an update to that which has failed. Choices are ;

Download again, disconnect from net, uninstall current version, run CCleaner, reboot, install new version.

or

Get a different free AV; Avast/AVG - click here

Only have one AV installed at any one time though.

redsusan 16:59 21 Oct 07

Thank you,that sorted it
Susan

Aces in the hole 17:02 21 Oct 07

redsusan
I had similar problem this morning and have reinstalled Virgin PCGuard. Everthing seems ok now.

brundle
I only use vigin pcguard, which is free with my broadband package, but have seen avg recommended on this forum. Does AVG offer better protection?

davidprc 12:54 23 Oct 07

redsusan
I had similar problem this morning and have reinstalled Virgin PCGuard. Everthing seems ok now.

brundle
I only use vigin pcguard, which is free with my broadband package, but have seen avg recommended on this forum. Does AVG offer better protection?

In a word No.

Aces in the hole 23:25 23 Oct 07

Short and to the point. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…