Virgin Surfboard modem thru Sky Netgear router

robbinz 14:44 24 Jun 08

Ok first of all this is ridiculous as I have a degree in networked computing lol.

So im in my folks house and they have BB with virgin that comes in thru a motorola Surfboard SB5101E. I now want to connect it to a wireless router so that I can have wireless internet.
Currently I have: COAX going into modem. Ethernet from modem to router. Ethernet from router to PC. I can connect both PC and wireless LOCALY. But I am not getting any internet. When I connect to the router the two LEDS on the front flash really rapidly. I have one idea though.
The connection between the modem and the router is not going into the routers WAN port. Does that matter?

The router is a Netgear DG834GT, 108MB, G, Firmware - V1.03.87

Actually now that I look, It states the MAC for the ADSL port. I suppose it must need the connection to the WAN port then yea.

And silly question but do you get USB-modem cables?

Any input would be great.

Thank you

brundle 18:11 24 Jun 08

"The connection between the modem and the router is not going into the routers WAN port."

No internet that way.Surfboard is a cable modem, you appear to have an ADSL router. The two are entirely different and require different hardware. You need something like a WGR614; click here

robbinz 18:32 24 Jun 08

I would rather avoid buying another router if possible. WHat about a RJ11 to RJ45 Patch cable.
Ive seen some online. Would that work?

robbinz 18:34 24 Jun 08

Sorry or even a RJ11 to RJ45 straight thru :S

brundle 18:41 24 Jun 08

None that I know of. It's not just a case of attaching the correct connectors with a suitable cable, different signals and formats.

brundle 18:45 24 Jun 08

Maybe something like these; click here

robbinz 18:45 24 Jun 08

Yea i know there is a differance between the router (adsl) and modem (dsl), but I wasnt sure how the router would handle the signal from the modem. :(
So you think the best bet is just to buy another cheap wireless router.

robbinz 18:53 24 Jun 08

Ohh sorry I never seen your other comment with the link. I think the rj11 to 45 do the same thing. I will most likely get all 3 options (11 to 45 straight, 11 to 45 patch and the adaptors) unless anyone can advise better.
Thanks brundle

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…