Virgin router and wireless router help!

gipoid 23:00 22 Mar 08

Help please!
I currently have a WebSTAR router that works fine but I now want to go wireless with a PC upstairs. The problem is I don't want both PCs to be wireless. I want one machine to be wired and the other wireless. However I only have 1 ethernet port on the WebSTAR router.
Can anyone advise me which router & wireless router I should buy that is compatible with Virgin cable (not phone line), that will have at least 2 ethernet ports that I can plug directly into 1 PC and the other into the wireless router.
I currently have a 4MB connection but will be looking to upgrading to 10MB later this year.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Gipoid

Strawballs 23:04 22 Mar 08

click here any one of these will do what you want, I have had a Linksys one for over 3yrs now without problems

gipoid 23:15 22 Mar 08

Thanks Strawballs.
Which one do you advise?
Will any 802.11g do for the PC upstairs?
I also want to connect via MAC address rather than WEP or WPA. Is this a different router or software?
Gipoid

Strawballs 23:35 22 Mar 08

I have the linksys wrt54g which will do all that you want but I would use WPA as well as mac address filtering.

You could go for the WRT54GL as it is a newer model but I have seen some not so favourable reports about the GS speed boost model

click here

gipoid 23:42 22 Mar 08

Thanks again!
Just been browsing Ebuyer & Ebay and will purchase the WRT54G and a PCI card.
Brilliant advice.
Gipoid

Strawballs 23:48 22 Mar 08

Glad to have been help I have been using that model for over 3yrs now 3 PC's connected 1 desktop by wire, 1 desktop by PCI Novatech own brand wireless card and laptop by inbuilt broadcom wireless with WPA encryption and unique SSID

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…