Virgin Media - Router 'loses DHCP' / WAN problems

Davidofff 14:24 10 Dec 07

I have a buffalo WHR-G54S router and cable modem on Virgin Media.

After power cycling the modem, router, PC, I'll be able to access the internet. The router shows the correct IP, DNS etc.

Anywhere between 1 and 60 minutes will pass, and suddenly no computer will be able to access the internet. The LAN is fine. If I visit the router control panel, it appears to be connected to the WAN fine, and the IP & DNS still display.

If I release the DHCP and renew, it'll fail to get an IP address and claim that the 'DHCP or PPPoE server cannot be detected'. Rebooting rarely (but not never) fixes this, and a power cycle seems to fix the problem.

I connected a PC directly to the modem and it worked for several hours, so I'm convinced its the router, BUT, the router worked fine for a month or so, until just recently when I've had these problems.

When the problems started, the default gateway IP took me directly to the modem, and the router appeared to be working in bridge mode. I had to initialise the router to get any sense from it, so I wonder if the router has somehow been damaged.

Have troubleshooted as much as possible - trying to get my hands on another cable router now to see if I can prove its the router's fault.

Anyone have any ideas?

Kemistri 17:11 10 Dec 07

Have you restored its factory settings yet? Might not make a blind bit of difference, but give it a go. Then try flashing the firmware.

How old is this router?

Davidofff 17:26 10 Dec 07

Yep, the 'initialise' operation restores the router to factory default settings.

The firmware on the router is the same as the latest version on the manufacturer's website. Should I try to flash it anyway?

Router is approx 1 month old, and worked fine for the whole month until now.

Kemistri 17:51 10 Dec 07

It might be worth giving it a flash because it is theoretically possible for firmware to become corrupted or otherwise develop a glitch, just as drivers and software can, and do.

Failing that, you can easily make use of your consumer rights and get a replacement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…