Virgin Media Persuasion

David-292376 18:24 30 Aug 07

I am going onto Sky Broadband 16MB, and today I phoned up Virgin media to cancel my 4 MB account. The lady said I will only get 2mb download speed. I live 795 metres from the exchange in a straight line. I thought I should get a higher speed than that.
Is she trying to persuade me to stop with them?

johnnyrocker 18:31 30 Aug 07

closeness physically does not have much bearing actually, it is more a case of the length of the cable run to your house which i doubt will be a straight line.

johnny.

birdface 23:58 30 Aug 07

Even if you only get half the speed that Sky promises It will still be twice the speed that you are getting from Virgin and £10 a month cheaper.Go for it.And the best of luck. Remember you need a BT phone line.

Dipso 12:26 31 Aug 07

After dealing with Virgin I have come to the conclusion they will tell you anything to get you to sign-up/stay with them. If you don't already have a BT line the lady has no way of telling what speed you will get.

As johnnrocker says the cable to the exchange won't be in a straight line so in reality could be up to twice as long as straight line distance but even then you will get much more than 4 Meg.

I agree, ignore Virgin and go for it!

David-292376 22:12 03 Sep 07

I went against the ladies wish and installed Sky Broadband, and now I am downloading at 12MB.
(Super Fast)
I am glad I left Virgin media

Dipso 06:57 04 Sep 07

They shouldn't be able to get away with these false claims...nice speed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…