Virgin Media Cable Modem going Wireless

WendyLipscombe 15:50 10 Jan 08

I am changing over from receiving Broadband wirelessly through my old Telewest STB to a V+ box and separate cable modem.

I have purchased appropriate Netgear Router etc and wish to go wireless straight away i.e. I dont want to have to cable the connection first. Is this possible and what is the best way to go about it. I just worry that if I try and istall the Virgin Media software this will come with the modem it will say it cant find the modem etc. Also will my existing email address work.

Many thanks for any information or advice.

Wendy

Ashrich 22:21 10 Jan 08

No need for any software to be run , just power down the cable modem for ten minutes while connecting everything . Connect the cable from the modem to the WAN port of the wireless router ( you don't have to leave it like this , but it is essential when setting up ) then connect an ethernet cable from port 1 on the router to the network ( ethernet ) port on the PC . Power up the modem , let it settle then do the same to the router , finally , power up the PC . Open your chosen browser and type in to the address bar at the top ..192.168.0.1 and press enter . This will take you to the set up pages of the Netgear , type in " admin " for the user name , and " password " for the password ( without the quote marks ) then you can set up some user security ( preferably WPA ) select which channel you want to use ( I think it defaults to ch.6 ) Save all the info , and reboot the system . Reboot the PC and check to see if it goes online , any problems you can always come to this thread .

Ashrich 22:23 10 Jan 08

Forgot to say , if you then want to go wireless you'll have to then install your wireless adapter and get that working . The set up disk for Virgin shouldn't be needed as the cable modem is already connected to the internet , it's just the router that needs setting up .

Ashley

WendyLipscombe 22:45 10 Jan 08

Ashley - many thanks for your help and advice it is much appreciated. Just heard Virgin Media are going to do the change over in 10 days. I have got a Netgear wireless adapter on order. I may well be back again when I try to connect everything. My main worry was that I might have to hard wire it before going wireless.

Thanks again for your help.

Wendy

Ashrich 23:52 10 Jan 08

I've just re-read what I wrote to you , I meant to say " connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port on the router ( this WILL have to stay ) it's the cable from the router to the PC that can be removed after you have secured it with the necessary encryption before you set up your wireless connection . Please come back to this thread if you need further help .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…