virgin media cable internet

amosoreilly 20:13 17 Feb 08

i have virgin media cable internet and use a desktop pc. can anyone tell me if i buy a new laptop can i use the cable internet on it. i will be getting rid of my desktop so will only have the laptop. can i just use the modem as it is now but on the new laptop. if i dont have to go wireless can i still use a wireless printer and mouse with the laptop or not, many thanks.

tullie 20:21 17 Feb 08

The laptop is a computer,just as your desktop

ambra4 20:35 17 Feb 08

Yes you can use the laptop on the cable modem before you connect the modem you need

To switch of the cable modem and leave off for about 20 minutes and check that the set

up on the laptop lan card and the network connection is correct
click here

Power on the Cable Modem when fully booted with all lights displayed

Power on the computer and wait until it is fully booted up

The Cable Modem will recognize a new connection and allocate an IP address to it.

Now launch your web browser and you should be able to access the Internet

The 2 displays Icon should be in the task bar-Right Click-Status-Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X which is the modem IP Address

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

If the wireless display is also showing on the task bar just right click and disable

Most laptop computer these days comes with a building wireless card; some required you to switch on the Wireless Radio Antenna via a small slide switch on the laptop

Or using the FN (Function) key you have to hold down the FN key and press the key with a small antenna icon to turn on the wireless card

You can also check that the wireless card is Enable/Disable from inside the Network Connection Area

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right click-Wireless Area Connection-Enable or Disable as required

amosoreilly 20:37 17 Feb 08

so i can just plug the usb lead that goes into my desktop from the modem into the laptop and thats it? and that will work on any laptop with a usb port? also could i use cordless mouse and printer without being wireless.

peter99co 20:00 18 Feb 08

I think you will need to plug in an ETHERNET cable from your Virgin Modem to the Laptop not a USB Your laptop wll have a socket provided.

peter99co 20:14 18 Feb 08

I have an old ntl modem and now use ethernet cable instead of usb. It is faster. I just plugged in switched on the modem and then booted up the laptop. Click on to Internet and away you go ..No set-up reqd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…