Virgin media cable installation

Michael Kelly 11:08 25 Mar 07

Hi all,

I am due to place an order for Virgin media 10mb cable broadband.

I still have a cable box at the front of my house from a few years back when I was on the ntl cable and wireless tv service.

I was just wondering if during the installation process they will remove this box and replace all of the wiring and fit new components?

The last thing I want is for my old box not to be cable of handling 10mbps.

If anyone could give me any information that woukld be much appreciated,

Michael

howard64 11:16 25 Mar 07

normally is you go to the virgin/ntl site they will check your postcode etc and test the service. They are looking for customers and will update your supply if it is not capable to get your custom.

birdface 11:21 25 Mar 07

I cant see them digging up old cable and replacing it,They will probably replace the filter in it and it should work Ok.I suppose if the box was damaged or cracked it would be replaced,Ive had the same cable for 5 years but I am only on 2mb.You do know that your 10 mb goes up to 20mb in may.So you should get the latest Modem with it.

birdface 11:30 25 Mar 07

I should have added,Make sure they run the cable to whatever room you want it in,Dont accept any poor instalation,They installed cable to my daughters front bedroom,when she needed it in the back bedroom,So they ran a cable from the front bedroom,down the middle of the hall into back bedroom,so now there is white cable all over the place ,Did not attempt to hide it,or tack it in out of the way,Just a mess,Make sure they dont do it to you,

AndySD 11:41 25 Mar 07

10mb does not run through the cable tv box they will install a small modem.

1887 15:11 25 Mar 07

I recently moved house and had NTL BB/TV & PHONE

I had a virgin media guy come and reconnect eveything up for me the other day. Ive had the 10mbps too. Its pretty cool.

All the virgin media guy does is connect your phone up to the outside box, change your set top box with a new one (dont know why they do this) and they give you a new modem. Didnt dig any of my path up what so ever.

All works sweet now. Hate being without the net :)

Michael Kelly 18:40 25 Mar 07

There's a FREE upgrade to 20mb. Holy hell, that's quick... What is the upload on the package, I need this for hosting online games and the like.

What are the ping times like, and do you get the full bandwidth all of the time?

The reason why I'm asking all of this is because, coming from Tiscali, with what was such an abysmal service I really don't want the hastle that I've had with those people!

birdface 19:05 25 Mar 07

Hi,This was on PCA home page about a fortnight ago.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced