Virgin media broadband and wireless router help

emmab1107 18:13 25 Oct 07

I have recently moved over to Virgin Media for my broadband and am trying to connect an Edimax wireless router to allow my laptop to be wireless. I don't have a main pc, just my laptop.

Firstly - do I have to have a main pc to be able to get wireless on my laptop? When I was with BT previously I didn't need this and could get wireless connection with just my laptop.

Secondly - If I am able to get wireless using just my laptop why is it that when I try to connect it's not picking up the connection? When searching for wireless networks in range it is seeing the wireless router, but when loading Firefox it says i'm not connected to the network. Have tried the disc that came with it but it doesn't make any sense. Please can anyone explain in very simple terms as I won't understand otherwise! Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:38 25 Oct 07

Firstly

No

Secondly
Have you ever connected via the router?
Is it set up?
If you use a wireless computer to login to the router, you will lose the connection with the wireless router because you do not setup the same WEP key in your wireless computer yet.

you can connect by cable and
1. Login to the wireless router. By default, the wireless router has IP address 192.168.2.1. You can open the Internet Explorer / Firefox and in the address bar, type in click here Hit Enter.
2. The default username is admin. Password is 1234.
3. In the router setup page, click on General Setup.
4. On the left menu, click on Wireless.
5. Under Wireless, click on Security.
5. In the drop down selection box of "Encryption", select WEP.
6. Key Length 64-bit is fine. Key Format Hex is fine. Default Tx Key is Key 1.
7. Under Encryption Key 1, remove all the * and type in your 10 alphanumeric encryption key. You can use any number from 0-9 and alphabet from A-F. suggest you use 10 digital number than alphabet letters for an easier setup.
6. Click Apply to save the settings.
7. Now you've successfully set WEP encryption in the wireless router.

How do I setup WEP key in my wireless computer?

A: Below instruction is for Windows XP SP2. If you use Windows 2000 or Win 98, you will need to run the wireless utility provided by the wireless network adapter manufacturer. Please refer the user manual for your wireless network adapter.

In Windows XP SP2, click on Start -> Run. Type in "ncpa.cpl" hit Enter. You will get the Network Connection Windows. You should see the icon for Wireless Network Connection. Right click on Wireless Network Connection and select "View Available Wireless Networks".

In the new window for "Choose a Wireless Network", you will see your wireless router. For our Edimax router, the default name is "default". Select your wireless network in the list, then click on Connect. You will be prompt to type in your WEP key. Type in the 10 characters key. Under the confirm key, type in the WEP key again. Hit OK. You will connect to your wireless network. Close the "Choose a Wireless Network" window.

You may double click on the Wireless Network Connection icon. Go to Status tab. Check the IP address. If you get an IP address like 192.168.2.x, you should have Internet access.

emmab1107 18:52 25 Oct 07

Fruit Bat, you are a wee star! Thank you so much. I would never have thought of doing that at all so thanks a million. Is now working just fine :-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 25 Oct 07

If you are using Wep protection it is better than nothing.

however better to protect using WPA if your laptop and router will use it.
It is much more secure especially if your using your laptop for banking.

Do as above but select WPA in the dropdown boxes and use a key you won't forget.

emmab1107 19:11 25 Oct 07

so by doing what you've suggested i'm secure? Am I able to change my WPA once i've set it?

Strawballs 21:26 25 Oct 07

If you meen WPA Password then yes you can change it whenever you like just remember to change it on all wireless devices as well.

connie72 16:33 06 Nov 07

HI

I am currently using BT Internet as an Internet provider, but am also a subscriber to Virgin Internet.

Can I use my BT wireless rooter for Virgin internet, or do I need to buy a specific router for Virgin?
If I could use my BT router what do I need to do to be able to connect to Virgin?

Would appreciate if someone could give advise.

Many thanks

micky d 10:30 27 Dec 07

Hi, hope someone can help.

I have a windows XP OS.

My ISP is virgin media.

I have a(new)Zoom ADSL x6 (model no. 5590) modem/router.

I cannot get connected to the internet.

I go through the Zooms initial set up in the products manual......correct wires plugged into correct places,etc. but when it comes to configuring the modem i have three options. One of which is auto-detect(recommended). When i do this i am met with an error message saying Zoom ADSL modem not found. All the wires are in the right places,ethernet cable is plugged in & the local area connection connected. It recognises the ethernet cable is plugged in but i can see nothing relating the the Zoom modem.

Another final option in the products manual is to manually set up. I have no idea where to go with this option.

It's probably something realy simple i'm missing but i really haven't a clue.

Any help would begreatly appreciated.

Les 11:20 27 Dec 07

Although I cannot help you with your problems I think that perhaps you should start a new thread as this has been marked resolved - fewer viewers as a result?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…