Virgin email server problem - again?

br1anstorm 15:33 10 Jan 09

Back in August 08 there was a problem with Virgin email account authentication - as in this thread
click here

Has this happened again? I have a broadband, not cable, connection (my wireless connection keeps dropping out, but I think that's a separate issue). Today (10 Jan) I can't access my main virgin.net email account via Outlook Express. I get a popup asking for my password, but even when re-entered, the Send/Receive comes up with an error message 'Password not recognised, server temporarily unavailable, try later'. OE can still access my email accounts with my other ISP (Plusnet).

Similarly if I try to get my virgin.net messages via the webmail route on their Virgin Media page, I can't login to my 'main' virgin account. Putting in login details just takes me back to the home page. But I CAN login via this webmail route to my other 'secondary' virgin.net email account.

The Virgin service-status page suggests all is well (green lights). Is anyone else having problems with virgin?

southhead 15:48 10 Jan 09

I have the same problem with my Virgin e-mail accounts. I don't use Virgin broadband so can't comment on that.
As for the 'Service status'; the last time this happened it took a day or more for the lights to go red.

br1anstorm 15:51 10 Jan 09

Well, that's two of us so far. At least it suggests the problem is at the virgin end rather than anything I or we have done!

Let's see how long it takes for Virgin to grip this...

BT 15:56 10 Jan 09

We haven't been able to up or download anything from our Webspace for several days. It just keeps saying we do not have permission. Cable Broadband seems OK though.

gardener 16:27 10 Jan 09

Haven't been able to access my virgin email account all day. I'm on Virgin broadband. According to their service status page everything is OK. It patently is not.

Demora 16:38 10 Jan 09

My emails out too. Since late last night.

I had been having network problems and thought it was something I had done.

I'm not on cable either.

D

caccy 16:50 10 Jan 09

Do you have this problem as well?
See "Virgin broadband (not cable) problems" on page 2 of this forum.

BT 16:55 10 Jan 09

Just been scouting around their website and it keeps locking up on certain pages. Looks like they have a server problem.

joe pickford 22:25 10 Jan 09

I haven't received any email for the past 24 hours. Getting the same problems as everyone else, i.e. wrong username or password etc. Cannot access via webmail or via my mobile device. Definitely a problem at Virgin's end.

br1anstorm 22:41 11 Jan 09

Have now had confirmation from Virgin that the problem was at their end. I sent an email enquiry from one of my other accounts - and got a reply today which admitted that they were doing "essential maintenance" and so [some] email accounts could not be accessed via client apps or via webmail.

Seems now to be working OK again. But it does beg the question - why didn't Virgin act like other sensible ISPs (eg Plusnet) and put a notice up on their service status page to inform users when they were doing maintenance? Saves people worrying, or worse, unnecessarily re-setting or reinstalling programmes because they assume the error is within their own setup.

I wonder if Virgin monitors forums like this...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now