Virgin cable router(s) connection problem

johnstott 19:54 28 Sep 07

We got virgin cable for my daughter at uni but can't get a router to work with it. The internet works fine direct from the cable modem, but despite trying two routers Belkin F5D8230 and DLink DIR-635 we have no connection. the connection at this stage is via the installation software, direct wired ethernet connection. Both router installations come up with 'ISP problem' Running ipconfig just comes up with router ip addresses. Direct it come up with the virgin one. I have tried all the auto isp tick boxes.

I do appreciate there are similar posts already, and I have worked through them, but still no joy.

So any one out there any other thoughts?

Ashrich 22:16 28 Sep 07

Power down the Virgin modem for at least 4 minutes , this will effectively make it " lose it's memory " as it associates itself via the MAC address of the PC, and won't work with anything else until it " forgets " . After doing that , connect the two via the supplied ethernet cable ( into the routers WAN port ) then the router , using another ethernet cable , into the PC's LAN ( ethernet ) port . Power up the modem and let it reconnect to the internet , then power up the router , start the PC and log in to the routers set up pages by typing 192.168.2.1 for the Belkin or ( probably ) 192.168.0.1 for the D-Link and let the router find the internet connection , there is often a wizard to help , don't sey any wireless encryption just yet , see if the laptop can connect first , if all is Ok you can enable WPA or WEP and away you go !!

Ashley

johnstott 14:40 29 Sep 07

Many thanks Ashley.

Some points I hadn't quite been aware of in your post. I followed the instructions to the letter (I used the installation software) but unfortunately still no connection via the router.

John

johnstott 00:12 02 Oct 07

We noticed an issue with the enet light on the modem which disappeared when connected to the router (though internet light on the router lit up). My daughter did some coincidental cable manipulation' and the enet light lit up. A little aditional help from a hair grip to secure it, reboot sequence for all and we have lift off! A quick swopover to a better lead (than the Virgin supplied unit) and all seems well.

Many thanks for your comments

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…