Virgin Broadband speedtest

Boluwd 18:47 26 Jul 05

Has anyone else checked their 1.1Mbps Virgin Broadband download speed using a speedtest like ADSLGuide.org test. I'm only getting 476kbps!!!
Virgin support have looked into this and apparently it's down to BT who seem to think anything between 100kbps to a full 1Mbps is normal. As far as BT is concerned my 476kbps does not warrant further investigation.

Can we have a "straw poll" of average speeds carried out by other Virgin 1.1Mbps users please to compare.
click here
link above for speedtest.

Stuartli 18:49 26 Jul 05

Have you also tried the click here speed test?

You have to do several tests in sequence to get a fair idea.

Microdot 18:54 26 Jul 05

Virgin: Down 943Kbps
Up 240Kbps

Cheers de Art.

Boluwd 20:58 26 Jul 05

Stuartli
I've also used BT's own speedtest at the request of Virgin. (speedtester2.nat.bt.com). This was also low on 482kbps. Using your link I get 503kbps. I'm not too impressed with BT's attitude that anything from 100 to 1000kbps is acceptable for a 1meg service.

Stuartli 22:17 26 Jul 05

Probably because BT has no control on contention rates etc used by ISPs - it is only the provider of the service unless, of course, you use BT broadband.

Stuartli 22:22 26 Jul 05

Further, when I originally signed up for Tiscali's 1MB service back in April I was actually getting up to 2.4MB - even when it was dropped to the 1MB service I've continued to get between 1MB and 1.5MB.

I'm perfectly happy with that...:-)

Dipso 22:43 26 Jul 05

This site click here can advise of any contention issues affecting your exchange.

Have you tried a speed test at different times of the day? Do any of your neighbours, not necessarily with Virgin have problems?

I wouldn't be happy with those speeds either, if the fault lies with Virgin rather than your exchange I would take advantage of the short contract and find another ISP.

Boluwd 20:15 27 Jul 05

The Broadband Resource page indicates that my exchange at Harrogate has a green coded VP status. I think therefore that a survey of the local residents is called for. Then I can decide if Virgin are giving me a half speed service. (It's a bummer having to change email addresses and overall I've been happy with Virgin).

Stuartli 20:17 27 Jul 05

Change ISPs and (if it offers it) take out a PAYG account with Virgin to maintain your e-mail address.

Dipso 22:14 27 Jul 05

I still have a Virgin email address from when I had their ADSL 2 years ago. They used to provide a back up dialup account on Pay As You Go so you may not need to do anything.

They advise you dial in every 3 months to keep the email account active but I don't and mine's still active.

You would need to reconfigure your email client to your new ISP's SMTP sending server if you chose to do this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…