Virgin Broadband problems with new ADSL connection

CLONNEN 07:09 12 Feb 05

I recently signed up with Virgin Broadband for an ADSL internet connection. Here are the emails I have had from them so far :

1st February (sent to Virgin and Tiscali email addresses):

Thank you for registering for Virgin.net Broadband.

We have received your order for 01425656399, which is currently being processed.

================================================

1st February (sent to Virgin and Tiscali email addresses):

Thank you for applying for Virgin.net Broadband.

Initial checks on your phone line indicate that we'll be able to provide you with Virgin.net Broadband. However, a few more line checks are required before we can confirm this and provide you with a broadband activation date.

==================================================

3rd February (sent to Virgin and Tiscali email addresses):

We are pleased to confirm a target activation date for your Virgin.net Broadband order.

Your target activation date is: 08/02/2005 - Your service should be activated anytime between 7.30am and 8.30pm on that date.

===================================================

8th February (sent to Virgin and Tiscali email addresses):

Welcome to Virgin.net Broadband.

Your broadband service will be activated today - this can happen anytime between 7:30am and 8:30pm. Please feel free to try to connect throughout the day, but please remember that the service may not activate until 8.30pm.

====================================================

8th February (sent to Virgin email address only):

Thank you for registering for Virgin.net Broadband.

We have received your order for 01425656399, which is currently being processed.

(This email is identical to the one received on 1st February - see above)

===============================================

9th February (sent to Virgin email address only):

Thank you for applying for Virgin.net Broadband.

Unfortunately, despite passing the first set of checks, for technical reasons your order has been rejected and we cannot progress it further.

What you need to do now:

It may be that you already have a broadband service on your phone line through another ISP. If so, we cannot activate a Virgin.net account on
that line at the same time.

Therefore, you need to contact your existing ISP, cancel that service and ask them to provide you with either a MAC (Migrations Authority

Code) or a CBUK Number.

Once you've done that, please call us on 0845 045 1118 with those details and we'll do our best to get your order back on track.

If you don't already have a broadband service with another ISP, please contact us on the number above quoting the following reference and we'll do our best to solve the problem:

Reference:- there are incompatible rented products on the line

===========================================

The Broadband order status page on the Virgin.net site says :

Thank you for your order for . Unfortunately, initial checks on your telephone line have identified an incompatibility with either a service on your line, or the cabling between the exchange and your property.

This incompatibility may delay your broadband order and in some circumstances may prevent us from providing you with a broadband service altogether. Further checks with your telephone service provider will be necessary to confirm this. Please be aware that they may need to arrange for an engineer to visit your home during this assessment.

If this is the case, we'll let you know by email sent to your Virgin.net email address (and an alternative email address if you provided one).
Once the assessment is complete, we'll send you another email, to let you know if we're able to process your broadband order.

==========================================

When I go to the beginning of the Virgin Broadband signup as far as the Line Checker it tells me there is already a Broadband service on my line.

Have Virgin somehow duplicated my Broadband order on top of itself?

CLONNEN 07:42 12 Feb 05

The only other services on my telephone line are :

BT Answer Service 1571

1899 prefix for cheap telephone calls

18866 prefix for cheap telephone calls

Could any of these be causing the incompatibility that Virgin are going on about?

I haven't as yet tried connecting the ADSL modem to the phone line - should I connect it?

CLONNEN 07:56 12 Feb 05

With regard to Virgin's instruction to phone them - does anyone know if their telephones are manned at 4.45pm because that is the earliest time I can call them during the week as I'm at work from 8am till 4.30pm.

Do their phone lines close at 5pm? I have tried looking on the Vigin.net website but cannot find any information about their opening hours.

Do they have any staff on the phones at the weekend?

CLONNEN 08:00 12 Feb 05

Does anyone besides me think that the two identical emails on the 1st and the 8th of February indicate that they have somehow duplicated my order for Broadband?

Maybe I am just being paranoid.

harps1h 08:11 12 Feb 05

first of all try to see if you can connect to virginirgin.net, then see if you can contact them about the duplication. there is a helpline there for you but to access it you need to type in your registration code (should be on your letter of acceptance and then phone to see if you get through. failing that try their online support and see if you get any joy there

ardvarc 13:02 12 Feb 05

Try phoning their Accounts and they should point you in the right direction. 08456500130

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…