Virgin Ambit 255 Modem to D-link 604 4port router

chemicalal 14:20 11 Dec 07

Hello.
I have Virgin Broadband via an Ambit 255 cable modem.
I recently purchased a 4 port D-link wired router (DI-604) to use with this modem but im not able to connect to it via 192.168.0.1. The WAN port LED flashes for a few seconds every 2 second intervals. Should it be solid?It doesn't seem to be communicating with the modem. Also, the ethernet LED on the modem isn't lit when connected to the router.
All the connections are correct and the modem works perfectly when connected directly to a computer.
When i push the reset button on the router there is no visual sign of a reboot.

Regards
Alex

ambra4 17:35 11 Dec 07

Most domestic cable ISPs have the cable modem configured to recognise only one client computer by the MAC address of its network interface.

Once the cable modem has learnt the MAC address of the first computer that talks to it, it will not respond to another MAC address in any way.

Thus if you swap one PC for another PC or a router, the new router will not work with the cable modem, because the router has a different MAC address to the PC.

You need to power off the Cable Modem, Router, And the Computer, connect the Cable modem to the router via the Ethernet port to the router wan port connect a second Ethernet cable from port 1 on the router to the lan card on the computer.

Wait 30 minutes

Power on the cable modem,, and has rebooted and gone fully online again indicator lights settled down, Power on the router and wait until has fully rebooted.

Power on the computer and wait until it is fully rebooted

You should now able to access the router via the browser

But there is a limit on the number of MAC address changes, which are permitted within one 4-hour period

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac