Virgin 24seven dial-up number change

gardener 23:37 04 Oct 03

Has anyone using Virgin Net 24seven had an email from them about a dial up number change?

I think I maybe the victim of a some sort of scam because,being the idiot I am,I followed the instructions (we do what we're told) and now I cannot access the internet using my usual dial-up number.

I have contacted Virgin Net but the guy I talked to said that no email had been sent out.I remain confused.

gudgulf 23:45 04 Oct 03

No,I have not received an email from virgin----and my connection works just fine on the original number.

Does your modem dial the number you were sent?
Maybe someone is trying to get you to dial a premium rate number!!!

Jester2K II 23:47 04 Oct 03

I assume you mean you've changed back to the old one??

"I have contacted Virgin Net " can you now check the number you are dialling with them (Virgin)

gardener 00:08 05 Oct 03

The weird thing is,I cannot now get internet access on the original 24seven dial-up number.I was asked to go to this web address and get the new number:

click here

I entered my phone number and a download program appeared---all very reasonable and above board,so I thought!!!Now---no internet access from my usual dial-up number.I've been had I think!

The tech support guy at Virgin told me that I AM 40-ODD QUID IN ARREARS with my account but could not understand why.Unfortunately the financial staff are only there 9 to 5 Mon to Fri (so much for 24seven!!!)

gudgulf 01:15 05 Oct 03

I have been looking at the Virgin.Net website and all the instructions for number changes are manual
and not through a downloaded programme. Virgin have a pay as you go back-up number for use as a
reserve on your 24/7 contract.the number for this is 0845 455 0500---does this look familiar?.

No mention of any required number change though!

If I were you I would be running my virus scanner
and adware/spyware checkers right now

ardvarc 08:51 05 Oct 03

This happened to my daughter-in-law. Although her dialup number was unchanged when she tried to log on a 0011*********** quickly appeared then went. The usual dalup box appeared but she couldn't connect. I went through her IE conection settings by phone and the Country Code was checked and set to another country so I told her to uncheck country code and area code and enter the Vigin dialup number in one box and it cured the problem. How the original settings were changed I don't know but her AVG programme was 6 weeks out of date and she can't handle a firewall or spyware programmes or even mailwasher ;-( Also on 24/7 package you pay a month in advance if on direct debit or credit card pay option.

gardener 19:39 05 Oct 03

gudgulf and ardvark,

Thanks for your suggestions,I too think it is suspicious even though a virus scan (up to date) and an Ad-Aware scan showed nothing.Still feeling unnerved I have reformatted my disk which is why it took so long to reply.

I am using the old Virgin Net number as gudgulf suggested.Cheers.

Billp64 19:47 05 Oct 03

I receoved the number change and it did log onto virgin but caused problems with many home pages and also not getting any emails.
Had to phone support and was given another number now ok.

JustJohn 19:57 05 Oct 03

I also have received an email which says that I will need to change my dial up number from Oct 7th. I hadn't thought anything of it until now!
As you say the email looks official enough.
John

JustJohn 19:59 05 Oct 03

Duh - just read your thread more carefully. Mine is from NTL not virgin - hopefully above board.
John

3Toed 20:19 05 Oct 03

I have received this same email,and ran through proceedings to change the number-after first following through and checking the authenticity,virgin were experiencing problems at the time of the email,and recommended you change from your original number,as otherwise you may not be able to log on with the original number.Also stated there was a major backlog through the email server,but on checking the server now,most have been cleared,although not all.I have now been using the new number and find poor connections/delays,sometimes not able to reach the intended web page i was after,and my email program is grinding to a hault.Think i will do like Billp64,and request a different number.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…