Vinyl to CD - physical restrictions

Giddygum 14:55 22 Oct 05

Have Technics SL-QL1 Linear Tracking Direct Drive Automatic turntable (made about 1979) connected using phono plugs to JVC CA 5700R CD/twin cassette/radio hi-fi player (bought 1995).

Am looking to transfer from vinyl to CD.

Since the two devices are linked will I still need a pre-amp or will the amplifier in the hi-fi (tuner) be sufficient ?

The other problem is proximity - the audio system is downstairs and the internal DVD/CD rewiter (within cpu of the computer) on the next floor up.

How can I connect the two:

(a) Cable - if there was one long enough would the signal not degrade ?

(b) External device - again, if I then have use a second method to transfer to CD would there not be a loss of quality ?

DieSse 15:32 22 Oct 05

You can use your existing Hi-Fi only if it has a line-level output. You cannot use the loudspeaker output (far, far, too high a level) and you cannot use the turntable direct (too low a level, and unequalised (wrong frequency/power curves)).

Other wise you will need a pre-amp or other device to connect the turntable to your sound card.

You can't do it with the two devices so far apart - the signal won't survive such a distance with any degree of fidelity. This applies whether or not you use a pre-amp or similar device.

There is a device to act as an input to computers for these applications - I think woodchip may know about it - I'm sure someone will.

DieSse 15:45 22 Oct 05

click here example device

Batch 16:39 22 Oct 05

I used a v.long cable from Tape Out on amp to Line In on sound card on PC without any serious degradation. Just went to local Maplin store and bought twin audio cable plus 2 x phono plugs and 1 x stereo mini-jack a bit of soldering and away you go.

I also use the same cable from Line Out on sound card to Tape In on amp and use PC (Windows Media Player) as Juke Box (but obviously not as good as source CD's)

Batch 16:40 22 Oct 05

I would add that copying a large volume of tracks from vinyl to CD can be quite a slow process overall - you'll probably see what I mean when you try it.

jack 16:48 22 Oct 05

This i what I did -not with standing Hi-Buff's sharp intake of breath[ I was one my self once - building stereo Hi fi Valve monster in the late 50's and later trny sets fron sincliar bits and bobs]

Create a cassette recording from the vinyl in the time honoured fashion.
You will now have to aquire a walkman or similar cassette player, and a 3mm double ended jack line to gp from the earphone socket cassette player to Line In on the sound card[ You local Hi Fi dealer or Maplins or [email protected]]
A suitable sound recroder software
And it works - not perfect somewhat compressed but listenable too.

daba 19:53 22 Oct 05

I'm certain you will not notice any adverse effects from using a cable from you hi-fi 'line-out' to your PC on another floor.

Since this is a "pre-amplified" and "equalised" signal, it is far far above the signal level from, say electric guitar pickups, and these cables can often be 5 or 10 metres long.

I have a 10-metre cable from line-out on the PC to my hi-fi in another room, no problems with sound quality, noise or frequency response.

Cheap enough to try anyway - get yourself a 10-metre RCA extension cable for a couple of quid and give it a try. Don't forget the shortest route to upstairs could well be out the window, up, and in again....

Stuartli 20:15 22 Oct 05

See section 3-12 in this very comprehensive everything to do with CD media and hardware website:

click here

GRFT 10:18 23 Oct 05

Mark

GRFT 10:46 23 Oct 05

The thing to do is avoid long cable runs like the plague, the extra impedance results in the reduction of signal quality, and as this is only going to be a one-off you want it be your best effort. Check the link provided by DieSse; this unit is ideal for the job (except in the unlikely event that your table has a moving coil catridge.) But you have get your turntable and PC together.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…