Viewsonic VP2030b monitor - slow to power up

Spock999 15:40 17 Mar 10

Hi,

I have a Mesh E6600 system with a Viewsonic VP2030b monitor. The video card is NVIDIA GeForce 7950GT.

The monitor works fine once up and running but it has become very slow to power up after cutting out when the computer goes into power save mode.

This is a relatively recent development. If it has powered down recently it takes a shorter time to restart and quite a long time (2-3 mins from moving the mouse) when it has been powered down for a while.

It is becoming a severe irritation. Any advice gratefully received.

Spock999 17:12 17 Mar 10

I should add that I am using Windows XP pro.

northumbria61 23:46 17 Mar 10

First check all connections to the monitor and try another one if possible - that way you will see if the monitor itself is the problem. You could also try updating your driver software via Device Manager.

Spock999 10:21 23 Apr 10

It took a while but I have checked what you suggested.

I have replaced the DVI D connector - no change. I have checked that all connections are tight.

Device manager cannot find a more up to date driver.

I also have a spare monitor which I use with my laptop and I have set that up in dual view with the viewsonic and that responds virtually instantly when I move the mouse after the system has gone to sleep. On occasions the viewsonic takes 10 mins to power up. It still seems to depend on how recently it has been used.

Any more suggestions?

turkanaboy 13:44 12 Jul 11

I am having the same problem with my VP2030b. This monitor is 5-yrs old and I believe the problem has been getting worse gradually this past year (though that doesn't seem reasonable!)

I'm running Windows 7 and have dual monitors. The other monitor comes to life instantly when the computer wakes up but the VP2030b can take a minute or so. Today, I thought it was finally dead for good, but amazingly after about 10 minutes (!) it woke up.

It works fine once it's up. I have tried this monitor with both my desktop and with my laptop. Same problem.

I assume this monitor is simply old and dying... but it is dying in a very odd way that makes me think maybe it can be saved. Any ideas?

violin 23:40 27 Jul 11

I have the same problem: the VP2030b sometimes takes as long as 20 minutes to come to life.

The green LED by the "on" button stays off; but having come to life the "on" button functions normally - I can use it to turn the monitor of and back on again OK.

Once it has come to life if I disconnect the DVI cable the green LED becomes amber indicating that the monitor knows it has no signal. I can reconnect the DVI cable and the screen comes to life in a couple of seconds as expected.

But if I power off or the PC turns off the display it can take 20 minutes for the monitor to come to life. It is as if the mechanism for detecting the DVI signal is causing the delay.

The fault is the same when using a VGA cable, and when using a different computer.

I bought the monitor in August 2007 and it has shown this fault for about 6 months.

violin 23:47 27 Jul 11

I found the solution at: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1515878

Turns out there is a factory reset for viewsonics that is not in the manual.

Hold down the 2 button and power button while the screen is switched off while your cpu is on. Switch on the screen while holding those buttons and don't let go. Eventually it should start cycling the different inputs looking for signal. Then you can let go.

The timing is very slow on these. It takes 10 seconds just to power on from turn on, then another 10 seconds to scan the inputs.

violin 08:37 28 Jul 11

Me again - no, that doesn't work. If the monitor is cold it still doesn't start.

However event with the monitor power off the PC knows what monitor is connected. Only when I unplug the DVI cable does the PC know there is no monitor connected.

And when I unplug the DVI cable the monitor LED glows amber, and for a few seconds the screen shows that it has no signal. I plug the DVI cable back in, and the amber LED goes out, and there is no display.

Still waiting for it to warm up this morning.

Spock999 08:46 28 Jul 11

I found what looked to ba a solution quite a while ago but I am not technically capable of doing it and I am reluctant to put the monitor in the hands of a repairer who I do not know and trust. Quite likely to be a biggish bill with no guarantees! They reckoned the problem was capacitor failure(s).

This is what I noted down:

"Open the monitor, examine the circuit boards. Look for small components that look like small cans, these are capacitors. If you see any that look bulged on top, then your problem can probably be solved by replacing these. Check out the following sites;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q6_TgNJvQw

Follow the directions and good luck!"

I don't know whether the Youtube link still works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…