Viewpoint ViewMgr.exe

feb 11:55 24 Jul 04

Do we need to be worried about this? click here
Apparently any one using AOL who deletes Viewpoint Media Player will find that it re-installs itself.

bertiecharlie 12:09 24 Jul 04

It's nothing to worry about, although AOL should be more upfront about what they are putting on your computer. And, yes, I've read that if you delete it it reinstalls next time you open up AOL.

In a thread some time ago the FE didn't consider it as spyware and I think he's pretty clued up about these things.

feb 18:03 24 Jul 04

Thanks bertiecharlie, I missed the thread you mentioned and couldn't find anything on the subject using search. It's just that ViewMgr.exe has suddenly been trying to access the internet and my firewall has been stopping it and I don't know whether to block it or let it through.

bertiecharlie 21:10 24 Jul 04

Been doing a search on Google for some more information. My firewall is set up to allow full access for AOLMediaPlaybackControl.exe but there is no mention of ViewMgr.exe.

From the Google search, I learned that the Viewpoint Media programme can automatically update itself without your consent. Quite a number of people find that disturbing, not unnaturally, as they like to be in control of what is downloaded onto their computer.

Having said that, the Google Toolbar, which is very popular, contains the same clause in their license. The MSN Toolbar says it will request the consent of the user before downloading an update of itself but reserves the right to download an update automatically, anyway. RealPlayer will automatically update itself without your consent unless you configure it not to.

I'm not 100% sure about this but I think what is happening is that Viewpoint is trying to download an update to it's programme and, without a firewall on your computer, it would have automatically done this.

There is a lot of parannoia in the various articles about Viewpoint but I can't help thinking that Viewpoint, and in this case, AOL, bring it on themselves due to the lack of information they give out.

You can have a trawl around using Google, (I wouldn't recommend it, however, as you are not going to get a balanced opinion and you will also end up bog eyed like me). I think an email to AOL requesting more information might be in order or you could try the live online link.

I'm just waiting now for my firewall to tell me that ViewMgr.exe wants access.

I wish I had more knowledge about these things so I could help further. (Maybe in another ten years or so ....)

feb 23:33 24 Jul 04

Thanks for your help, looks like we'll have to live with it!

GaT7 00:07 25 Jul 04

Viewpoint's privacy policy states that none of it's products are spyware - click here.

And if you'd like to know what it does - " The Viewpoint Media Player (VMP) is a browser plug-in, very similar to the Macromedia Flash and Windows Media Players. When open, it is capable of displaying high-quality animated and interactive graphics, including 3D images, 2D images, video, zoom-able images, and even Flash movies."

Also gets installed as Adobe Atmosphere player with some Adobe Acrobat Reader updates? I visited the Adobe (Acrobat Reader) site & found that Adobe Atmosphere player = Viewpoint Media player (or similar, see security warning dialogue box pic click here, scroll down a bit.). It appears in the Add/remove programs as 'Adobe Atmosphere Player for Acrobat & Adobe Reader' & apparently enhances the Reader's functionality - click here. BTW, no ViewMgr.exe on my PC.

As far as I can determine (checked within firewall configuration), no Viewpoint or Atmosphere player is trying to access the Internet at any time, unless it's masquerading as Adobe Reader (which is allowed to access the Net). G

feb 08:06 25 Jul 04

The thing I have a problem with, is that it has suddenly tried accessing the internet and my firewall is blocking it. I undestand that it's looking for updates but it has never happened before, if it's supposed to look for updates regularly why hasn't it come up before? And it's not happening today!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…