Viewing Powerpoint slideshows in Open Office

Pineman100 12:11 19 Oct 08

As my version of MS Office doesn't include Powerpoint, I've recently installed Open Office. Its 'Impress' presentation module seems to be able to open Powerpoint files with no problem, and to create Powerpoint-compatible presentations.

I have set Impress as the default viewer for Powerpoint files, but when I double-click on a Powerpoint file it doesn't automatically open as a slideshow. It opens in the Impress edit window, and I have launch the slideshow function.

Is there any way of making Powerpoint files launch automatically as slideshows?

Sea Urchin 13:01 19 Oct 08

...or as an alternative download PowerPoint Viewer

click here

DieSse 13:31 19 Oct 08

"Is there any way of making Powerpoint files launch automatically as slideshows?"

Only .pps files play - .ppt files are not slide show files - is this your issue?

Pineman100 14:06 19 Oct 08

Sea Urchin - thaks for that idea. I'd like to get Impress to do it if I can, but I'll take that as a "fall-back" position!

DieSse - no, the files I've been trying to get to work are .pps. Any other thoughts, please?

DieSse 14:18 19 Oct 08

Impress doesn't autostart slide shows. If you install this add-on, it should then be able to.

Note - not tested - found by trawiling the web.

click here

DieSse 14:18 19 Oct 08

or trawling even !

DieSse 14:22 19 Oct 08

Just tested it (didn't think i had a .pps file - but found one) - works fine.

Pineman100 15:11 19 Oct 08

Thanks a million, DieSse! Problem solved!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…