Viewing Network Drives

Evolution 20:30 24 Oct 04

Hi,

I run a two PC network through a hub / router.

Both PC's use XP Home, SP2.

Until recently, when clicking MY NETWORK PLACES, on either PC, I could see the other PC and all shared drives.

Suddenly today, on one of the PCs, I cannot see the other's shared drives.

I dont think that it is an issue with the cabling as I can still access the shared drives from the good PC and pull files over. I can also print from the problem PC, across the network, to the printer which is connected to the good PC. Communications therefore seem ok.

What I can't do is copy files from the problem PC and move them to the good PC as I cannot see it on the network.

However, if I click on VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS on the problem PC, I can see the shared drives!! Odd then that the other PC does not show under network places!!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Evolution

StevieD 12:37 25 Oct 04

Can anybody give me any ideas please?

Thanks

spikeychris 13:10 25 Oct 04

These things are always hard to work out as it could be anything. Have you disabled the firewall on the problem machine? Do you use Norton security? Can you ping the problem machine?

You could enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP on both the machines to see if the problem machine shows up in my network places...

1. Right click the local area network connection and click Properties.

2. Double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

3. Click Advanced.

4. Click WINS.

5. Click the Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP button.

System restore the problem machine if the above fails, I would take it off the network first though, then do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…