Viewing Hover Buttons(FP) in IE

roasty 12:44 25 Oct 04

I have created a web site in FrontPage 2000 version. The site is click here. I've had it active for years now. However, last week I decided to upgrade my home PC to WinXP Home SP2. Reformated the harddrive etc etc - all OK. However, now when I try and look at my web site from home the hover buttons are not there- they are just blacked out with an red X in them. Clicking on them does not take you to the next link either. I've looked at it at work and all OK. This is similar to the problem incurred by user Palma (dated 17/9) but not exact as she had a problem in the FP app itself. Help???

steve263000 13:22 28 Oct 04

Hi Roasty,
When I looked at your site just now, it seemed fine to me. All buttons were working, and good fast links. How did you create those buttons? I would like something like that for my new site.

roasty 13:34 28 Oct 04

I use FP2000 and hover buttons are just one of the neat little ways of showing links. I don't know HTML at all, and the site needs a make over, but it does for me and my Cricket Club.

I too can see and use the links from my work PC (as per my original post) it's just I can't see it with my home PC that I rebuilt last w/e with WIN XP SP2.

Charence 14:15 28 Oct 04

The hover buttons that FP creates uses Java. As far as I know, Windows XP does not have java installed nor does the SP2 install java. You must go to Java's website. click here and download the necessary software.

Hover buttons don't work in FP preview, even if you install Java. But it should work in IE.

Charence

Charence 14:32 28 Oct 04

You'll need a fphover.class and fphoverx.class files.

fphover.class click here

fphoverx.class click here

Just download the two files and place them in the same directory (folder) as your website (in same folder as the page which will use hover buttons).

In the BODY section of your page, insert the following code everytime for a button.

<applet code="fphover.class" codebase="./" width="120" height="24">

<param name="text" value="Button Text">

<param name="color" value="#000080">

<param name="hovercolor" value="#0000FF">

<param name="textcolor" value="#FFFFFF">

<param name="effect" value="glow">

</applet>

You can change the width, height, text (what the button will say), color (button colour), hovercolor (button colour when hovering), textcolor (colour of text), and the effect when you place your mouse over the button.

For effect you may have the following: fill, average, glow, reverseGlow, lightGlow, bevelOut, bevelIn

You can insert this by using any web page editor or by using Notepad.

Of course, if you have FrontPage it'll a lot easier to use that to make buttons, but if you don't have FP, you can still make them!

NB - you must upload fphover.class and fphoverx.class to your webspace as well.

Charence

steve263000 02:02 29 Oct 04

Thanks for the info on buttons. I had a look at FP, and there it was! Should have looked before I wrote....

roasty 09:29 01 Nov 04

So following the good advice given so far I downloaded Java. With fingers crossed I went back into my web site and the hover buttons were displayed in all their glory. Fantastic. Job done... Or so I thought!
Upon clicking the hover button no link was activated - It did not jump to the next page. However, the page name was displayed on the tool bar at the bottom of the IE window. Any ideas??? What setting have I not got activated?? Thanks in advance. Roasty

Charence 22:37 01 Nov 04

The links work for me. So it must be a problem with your settings.

Go to TOOLS > Internet Options > Security > Internet > Custom Level

And check that you've got these settings

Java VM Java permissions - High Safety

Scripting

Active scripting - Enable

Allow paste operations via script - Enable

Scripting of Java applets - Enable

Also go to ADVANCED Tab and check the following are ticked.

Java(Sun)

Use Java 2 v1.4.2 for <applet> (requires restart)

Microsoft VM

Java console enabled (requires restart)

Java logging enabled

JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled (requires restart)

Charence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…