Viewing Forum on PC ??

geoff47 00:37 AM 10 Apr 11

I am toying with putting a forum on a website for a group in my town. No website to test it on so far. Is there a way to do this on my PC ? And any recommendations for simple open source software a numpty can use ? I have looked at [bbPress,][1] seems OK to me.

Ansolan 02:31 AM 10 Apr 11

Not a recommendation as such but this is popular:

phpbb

As always, first need is to ensure you understand security implications and good practice.

To try this on a PC, take a look at:

XAMMP

geoff47 11:28 AM 10 Apr 11

That seems what I am looking for, many thanks.

geoff47 21:11 PM 12 Apr 11

Both are working perfectly on my PC , thank you very very much. Will need some more tweaking and learning exactly what I am doing, but so far unbelievably successful thank you again.

Now for the BIG question, can anyone recommend a FREE host so I can test this out online, and so I can 'show it off' to a selected group of interested people.

I am a Virgin media customer and although they have free web space they have a problem at the moment and I cannot access it, that is being worked on, and it is possible it will be as much as 5 days to sort out, and I want to test it now.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…