Viewing digital photos direct from camera

pienter 15:17 31 Mar 05

Is it possible to show photos which are on a Kodak digital camera to friends who do not have Kodak Easy Share software installed on their computer which is running on Windows 98SE? What would be needed and is it available as freeware/shareware?

pj123 15:26 31 Mar 05

Just download them to your PC and save them as .jpg to a CD (if you have a CD burner).

All your friends would need then is something like Irfanview (free from click here) to see them. Of course they would also need (at least) a CD player, but most PCs have them fitted now.

Kate B 15:30 31 Mar 05

Or just take the camera and its cable around to their house, plug it into a USB port and you should simply be able to drag and drop the pics off the camera - or just view them in Explorer. The PC should recognise it as a removeable drive, and it may even install generic drivers for the camera when you plug it in automatically.

Stuartli 15:41 31 Mar 05

Drivers are needed for 98SE - you are probably thinking of XP - if being viewed direct from the camera via its drive letter icon.

These will be provided with the camera's software (normally on CD-ROM).

Stuartli 15:57 31 Mar 05

Drivers are needed for 98SE - you are probably thinking of XP - if being viewed direct from the camera via its drive letter icon.

These will be provided with the camera's software (normally on CD-ROM).

pienter 17:22 31 Mar 05

The problem with the first reply is that the photos would be taken at the friends' house and I wouldn't be able to access my own PC.

Unfortunately when I plug the camera into their computer and connect to a USB port the camera doesn't show up as an additional drive so I can't drag and drop and all I get at the camera end is a flashing green light.

Stuartli 17:55 31 Mar 05

Because, as I've pointed out, you will need to install the appropriate driver for earlier editions of Windows (on your friend's system).

Kate B 17:57 31 Mar 05

Whoops, you're right Stuartli!

Zak 20:14 31 Mar 05

The Driver is called Kodak Camera Connection Software on the CD that came with your camera. You need to do a custom install. Otherwise you may end up with a miserable Win98 system, at least I did until I uninstalled all the other EasyShare software.

pienter 20:33 31 Mar 05

I hate the combination of Kodak EasyShare and Windows 98 because the OS really does get messed up and hangs on shutdown. That is why I have tried to avoid going down that route and Zak may have the solution. However I cannot find Kodak Camera Connection Software on my Kodak installation CD. The only *.exe files are Setup, Cleanup2, INSTMSIA, INSTMSIW,KSUutil,and ksustop. Are any of these what I am seeking?

Zak 21:12 31 Mar 05

Ken

Just run setup and then when you are presented with options, either choose custom install or if it is present there select camera connection. It is a while since I installed. I was unable to find an individual file or folder on the CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…