View DVD'S from my laptop to my T.V

steviekill 11:32 27 Feb 03

Can anyone help me - I would like to know exactly how to connect my laptop up to my big t.v in order to view DVD's on the big screen.

I have an S-Video out connection on my laptop and a S-Video and Scart on my T.V. I also have a S-Video to S-Video cable to connect the two, is this the right cable ???

How do I get windows to recognise the T.V ? I have looked in the monitor settings and cannot find anything. Please any advice at this stage would be useful.

I am on WINXP PRO.

Thanks

hugh-265156 13:31 27 Feb 03
  ?dstow 13:40 27 Feb 03

Whatever you come up with as an answer, if it costs any money remember that you can buy quite acceptable dedicated DVD players for about £80 - 100.

?d

hugh-265156 13:51 27 Feb 03

i agree you cant beat a stand alone player.fan noise from pc can be annoying too.

steviekill 13:58 27 Feb 03

Thanks for the advice but I still want to use my Laptop as the DVD player.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 with a NVIDIA GeForce 2 Go Graphics card and a S-VIDEO out socket.

I also have an S-VIDEO to S-VIDEO cable that can connect from my Laptop to my T.V. Is this all I need ?

And where exactly do I tell windows to pick up my T.V. I cannot find how to do this in Monitor settings. Please, please advise ???

hugh-265156 14:09 27 Feb 03

a standard s video lead will probally not do.have a look at the s vid.on the card how many "holes" does it have?adapter leads are normally required and are cheap.

steviekill 14:13 27 Feb 03

It has 7 holes. What is the specific name for this adapter and what does it look like ?

where do I get it from and most importantly how do I get windows to pick up my T.V. what setti ngs do i look for and where ?

All comments welcome. Thankyou

hugh-265156 14:27 27 Feb 03

ok,you should be able to buy from any good pc store and should not have to pay more than a fiver.will check and get back to you.my card came supplied with this lead.the most common is seven pin s vid to composite(standard yellow phono type plug)your tv will have this under the flap at front or side.you may have red and white phonos beside this for audio.standard svid 4 pin does not carry audio this is why a card has seven pins it will output sound.i connect my s vid/composite lead to a composite to scart and run this to the tv.check in control panel/display/advanced and see if there is tv out settings.

steviekill 15:02 27 Feb 03

This is extremely useful huggyg71 thankyou.

I am certaily getting closer now as I have found where windows detects displays in display\settings\advanced\TWINVIEW\detect displays

I think I have this cable you mention it has a four pin connection on the left a yellow phono type to in the middle and a four pin s-video on the right.

What I am interested in is what plugs into what ?

What about this S VIDEO/Composite lead to scart ? shall i buy one

hugh-265156 15:05 27 Feb 03

am sorry for taking so long to get back to you but havnt had much luck im afraid.found this link with info though.click here see why have i got a seven pin connection ant bottom of page.

hugh-265156 15:09 27 Feb 03

sorry the link doesnt work.on that page at the top do a product search for cables then see "connect my pc to tv" on right side of that page.at the bottom you will find the seven pin link.if i find out more will get back to ya.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…