video too big

Maryp 18:43 15 Aug 07

I want to put a video on facebook, but it's too big, they allow 300mb or 15 mins, but mine is only 1 minute and 326 mb. How can I reduce the mb size, without just shortening the video? its in AVI format.
Mary

ICF 18:50 15 Aug 07

Recode it into mpeg 2. I have seen recoder that do it specially for sites like u tube.Do a search on google or look on U tube its self.

ICF 18:53 15 Aug 07

Try this not used it myself click here

ICF 18:55 15 Aug 07

mpeg4 is even smaller files

baldtaco 19:53 15 Aug 07

I use the Main Concept H.264 encoder, but you'll get satisfactory results using Virtual Dub [the Mod one is better as it handles Mpeg2] and an XviD codec.

click here

Maryp 22:06 15 Aug 07

I've got Virtual Dub Mod and an XviD codec, but cant work out how to switch the video to mpeg, and cant find any instructions or help pages.

anchor 11:02 16 Aug 07

Why not convert it to wmv format using Windows Movie Maker. Import your avi file, and follow instructions. This is the simplest answer as most people have Windows Media Player.

You will be amazed how much this will reduce the file size. You have a choice of compression too.

Maryp 16:36 16 Aug 07

Hi Anchor, I've looked in Windows Movie Maker, but cant see how to save it as anything other than WSWMM. I've trawled the help page, but cant find it there either.

Al94 16:43 16 Aug 07

Great free mult format encoder here click here

anchor 16:49 16 Aug 07

The MSWMM extension is a project file, not the finished WMV file.

Have a look at this, it may help; if not come back. I, and many on this forum, use Windows Movie Maker.

click here

anchor 17:21 16 Aug 07

To give you an idea of what can be done with WMM.

I have just taken a 274Mb AVI file, (that runs for just over 1 minute), and converted to a WMV file. It is now 7.8Mb. You could make it smaller if you wish.

Of course, some quality is lost, but its more than reasonable. Have a look; (hopefully you have broadband).

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5