Video Rendering

John B S 06:27 05 Feb 08

I run XP Pro with an Athlon 700MHZ and 512 ram and it takes 10 hours to render 90 minutes of video from AVI to MPEG2. How much quicker would Vista Premium, Intel core 2 duo 6850 and 4HZ of ram be?

€dstowe 06:41 05 Feb 08

Depends more on the program and computer system you are using to do the rendering more than the operating system.Your current specs are somewhat short for video work.

With a reasonably modern system, WinDVD Creator renders 90 - 120 minute videos in something approximating to real time compared with Pinnacle (which I suspect you have) taking many hours.

John B S 07:07 05 Feb 08

Thanks for that. I use Ulead 10.

€dstowe 08:01 05 Feb 08

I have only made a quick trial with the Ulead program. It didn't impress - slow and inefficient but not to the same extent as Pinnacle.

There is a fully functional free trial of WinDVD Creator available on their website but I think the real reason for your problem is, at least in part, due to your limited computer resources.

eedcam 09:20 05 Feb 08

That may not be unreasonable considering your pc is not very powerful.Even with a 3 G processor it can take a few hours .Thats if you have created a fully authored dvd with chapters and menu's

JanetO 09:29 05 Feb 08

There's also a few things you can do to ease up resources using the processor to speed things up when rendering:

increase your paging files (vertual memory) per hd (recommended max is 3 times ram total per hd)

turn off non-vital b/g progs

render to another hd from system hd (both hd's should be same speed)

ensure dma is enabled

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac