Video and printer drivers for Win 98

ptc 12:33 20 Sep 05

I was using an old (Pentium 133/32 MB RAM) computer with Win 95, and had no problems with the display nor the installed printer (an old Epson dot matrix LQ100). However, the old Win 95 was playing up badly, and not load easily, claiming to have missing files, trying to start non-existnat programs, etc - so I re-instaled the OS with Win 98 to update it, repalcing the old Win 95. Also runnign Office 2000, agin which installed well and easily, and all works.

Re-insatalling it went well, and I now have a computer that boots quickly and reliably, . . . . but. . . . two problems:

1. The same monitor (similar vintage to the computer) will only display in the emergency mode - ie, appalling resolution and even worse colours. I have tried to load the drivers from the istalled OS, and from the Win 95 disc, and via a floopy downloaded from a generic driver web site. Still no joy. Will not display more than 16 colours or more than 600x800.

2. Nothing on God's earth will seem to allow it to recognise the printer. All drivers seem to be present, and loaded, but the computer still tells me that it does not recognsie the printer, and I need to install it. The old Epson printer has no (and never did have) seprate drivers files on floopy or on CD.

Have I biuggered something by putting too new an OS system on an old computer ?? PS - the Epson LQ 100 works fine on another computer running Win 98.

Help, please.

ptc

Klof Ron 12:43 20 Sep 05

Printer drivers click here

Taff36 12:50 20 Sep 05

It would help if we knew a little bit more about the computer itself. Particularly the graphics (video) card. Download and run this click here and post back the basic information including the above graphics details.

Taff36 13:00 20 Sep 05

This driver is for Windows 98 click here

ptc 13:03 20 Sep 05

Taff36,

Thansk for your interest - but I am afraid the beast is not with me at the moment (actually, at a holiday home so I won't see it till October). Anyway, it is not a branded machine, but was built locally by a small firm. From memeory, I think the graphics card is a an old Cyrix. Sorry, can't be more certain that that. Puzzle is why it did work with Win 95, and will not now accpet/recognise better than safe mode graphics and not recognsie printerwhen runnign Win 98

ptc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…