video playback problems

bobfan 21:14 19 Aug 06

Hi all

After my old mobo died I bought the following.
ASUS A8N-VM with integrated graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 6100.
I re-installed my old drives, including a fresh install of Windows XP. All works fine except for the playback of videos. The picture flickers very badly and the colours are wrong. It is the same on DVD's in the DVD drive or DVD files stored on the hard drive. I've tried updating the drivers for the graphics and altering various settings but makes no difference. Videos played on the net from Youtube play fine.
Don't know if it's connected but I've twice had the blue screen and the driver listed as the problem is NV4_disp.dll.
I know I'd be better off with a separate graphics but as I don't do any gaming didn't think it would be a problem, although I'm disappointed the 6100 has no DVI out, but would it solve my problem?

ArrGee 22:39 19 Aug 06

Try this out. Had the same problem as yourself and this worked fine (but only on 30 day trial)
click here

Giggle n' Bits 00:29 20 Aug 06

or possibly a memory issue. When you installed XP again have you installed XP Service Pack 2 and the remaining updates ? Windows Updates

Also have you added any memory as one of your dimms maybe a bad match. Run MemTest

Also where graphics is concerned with Nvidia or ATI you need to download the newest Nvidia drivers for your board.

bobfan 12:46 20 Aug 06

ArrGee - Thanks for the reply, tried this, made no difference, the screen showing the setup options also had the same problems as the video files! making it almost impossible to read!
Nite~Lite - Thanks also - I'm using SP2 plus the updates.
Yes I had added some memory; I tried taking that out leaving 1 1GB stick of RAM. I also ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic but it found no problems.
Yes I've also updated to the latest drivers.
Any suggestions anyone?

Giggle n' Bits 00:57 21 Aug 06

60Hz if a TFT Screen and also 75 ish Hz for CRT screen this is in Advanced properties for Display by right clicking etc and selecting properties.

Windows memory test isn't as good as MemTest from here, Click & Download Download the Pre-Compiled Memtest86 v3.2 installable from Windows and DOS to create a Floppy to Boot From, run it for about a hour and check for any Fails in the coloum.

Next I would get the HDD diagnostic for you Hard Drive and run a full Test, if you have trouble finding the Tool for your HDD then post back and I will point u towards it.

bobfan 17:30 25 Aug 06

Hi Nite~Lite

Sorry for late reply, been away from the PC for a few days!
Checked the settings you suggested, all OK.
Used the MemTest86, least it running for about 2 hours and it found no faults. Run diagnostic tests for the HDD faults were found on both drives but both were corrected.
After all this still the same problem. Any idea why I can watch some video over the net (you tube) but not other (real player).

ACOLYTE 17:33 25 Aug 06

Try this open the Nvidea settings goto advanced
click the color correction tab and in the dropdown tab where it says "apply color changes to"select all and apply,see if that helps.

bobfan 23:41 25 Aug 06

Hi ACOLYTE

Tried that, made no difference!

bobfan 08:16 30 Aug 06

OK still having the same problem. My only thought now is that there is a promlem with the on-board graphics. I have an old (2half years) grphics card I could try but the new motherboard has a PCI express slot, not sure of my old graphics is express or not, would it matter?
Don't know if this helps but sometimes not oly does the picture flicker but half of the picture is missing altogther.

aba 06:15 10 Sep 06

hi bobfan

i bought the same configured system and i am having the same problems with the videos...what should i do... is ur system ok now???

bobfan 23:01 11 Sep 06

Hi aba

Bought a separate graphics card, installed it and perfect! Don't really understand it, I was quite happy with integrated graphics as I don't do any gaming but now the dvd's/video files play perfect!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…