Video Playback Problem - Need Advice

TreeHugger2005 16:51 16 Oct 05

I bought a brand new Mesh PC about 3 weeks ago, and ever since I first turned it on Ive had trouble playing video. Most of the saved video files played with awful quality and bad colouring, when on other macines they were fine. I have since been trying to play DVDs on it and the same problems occur, overall poor quality. The screen is fine, and the video files play perfectly when editing on Adobe premiere, so I have no idea where the problem is. The files and DVDs play dodgy using Windows Media Player, Cyberlink Power Cinema and Power DVD, even DivX 6.0. Although I can play one or two video files on quicktime and they work fine whereas the same files are bad quality on other players. I havent messed with my video settings whatsoever and Media Player is on its default settings. Someone Please help me!!!!!
Thanks
Adam

splork 17:04 16 Oct 05

try typing dxdiag into the run dialogue box, click the display tab, and click disable for direct3d and directdraw. then try your video files. this is not a fix as such, but it worked for similar problems i had on an older machine. however you have to keep switching if you want to play games.
what graphics card/chipset do you have?

kimjhon 21:31 16 Oct 05

Does the software that comes with your picture card have the facility to create a diplay profile for the monitor and a separate profile for video display.

Video players usually use 'hardware overlay' which means they use the video display profile rather than the monitor profile. And it may be poorly configured?

007al 21:42 16 Oct 05

do you have an invidia graphics card?

TreeHugger2005 16:28 17 Oct 05

Yeah I have an invidia Graphics card, a geforce 6800GT i beleive. But as for DCDC's help I do not know how to create display profiles for the monitor or video display, and I dont know how to configure the video displa profile.
I will try the dxdiag display settings as soon as I get home, cheers for that splork but I have no idea whether it will work or not.

007al 17:19 17 Oct 05

ok,sometimes its only a matter of colour correction...open your nvidia display,click on colour correction...where it says apply colour correction to:...make sure the two boxes say"all" and "all channels"...it may be something else,so try it and let me know.

007al 17:21 17 Oct 05

sorry,i forgot to say its the two boxes at the top left

TreeHugger2005 11:17 18 Oct 05

I tried splork's advice of disabling my direct 3d and direct draw and that worked fine, the movies work well, but as he/she said, my games wont work at all. I dont want to have to change my settings every time I want to perform a different operation, is there a way of fixing this?
Thanks 007al, I will apply colour correction to all channels and see if that works. Unfortunatly I cant access the internet on my computer at the moment so I will post again if it works.
cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now