Video memory prob

Depakjan 10:16 21 Jun 06

I am having this mother board mercury kob845glndsmx(chipset).. I have 256mb ram.. So my video share memory is 64mb.. I want to increase this to 128mb.. How can i do. There are no such settings in my bios.. If i update my bios can i change the video memory share.. If so .. How to update my bios.. Please please help..

brundle 10:36 21 Jun 06

out of luck im afraid click here

rmcqua 10:38 21 Jun 06

If this is on-board video then I'm pretty sure you will not be able to increase it above 64mb. Maybe you have an AGP slot for a separate video card?

Depakjan 20:31 21 Jun 06

It is an onboard video.. My question is even if i update my bios.. I wont be able to increase.. Is it.. Also brundle has give a link.. In that link there is one bios file.. And it says updated vga bios.. So will that help

DieSse 20:43 21 Jun 06

I don't think you should be doing this on a system that only has 256MB RAM. There will be very little left for the system.

Why do you think you need to increase the video RAM - 64MB should be enough for most things, especially on a system with precious little RAM anyway.

What operating system are you using?

Depakjan 02:47 22 Jun 06

I am using xp with sp2.. 64mb is not enough for me to play games.. Anyway i can always buy 512mb to make up.. I just want to change my video mem..

DieSse 11:30 22 Jun 06

If you read this document click here - note it's a pdf download, but not large - you'll see that the amount of RAM the 845 uses is not a function of the BIOS, but of the chipset and driver - and the maximum it will use is 64MB.

So the answer you need is to upgrade to an AGP graphics card, as you motherboard does have an AGP slot. I would think that you should be looking at a GeForce 6800 type card to give you some useful extra graphics performance.

And I would also suggest that you upgrade the system RAM to 512MB minimum at the same time, if you're looking to play modernish games.

Depakjan 19:33 22 Jun 06

I dont think there is an agp slot in my motherboard.. Thats the real prob.. Please guys help me out.. Whether my motherboard has an agp slot or not.. For specifications.. manual..'Brundle' has given a link.. Please refer that and tell me whethere there is an agp slot or not..

DieSse 22:01 22 Jun 06

I looked at the manual and your motherboard does have an AGP slot - that's why I said it did.

DieSse 22:03 22 Jun 06

PS - I was perhaps over the top saying a GeF6800 - try a lower model in the range - say a GeF6200.

woodchip 22:11 22 Jun 06

If you are wanting to use this for games you are wasting your time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…