Video Media Files won't play (at all)

GazMaz 17:19 06 Nov 06

I am having problems playing media files with either Windows Media Player (9), Real Player or Quicktime player.
My system resourses go through the roof when I double click any wmv etc file, and as the files are associated with Windows Media Player, the program open but just hangs, I seem to have the codecs but do not know how to check them.
Could there be a conflict with and old version of media player? If firefox is open the memory useage for that program goes through the roof as well.
I have had occasion when I double click the media file when my system just crashes.
System
W2K
CPU AMD 3200+
2 gb ram
Graphics Nvidia 6200 256 ram
So system should be able to cope, there must be a software conflict somewhere.
Any one suggest where to start?

Jak_1 20:05 06 Nov 06

Suggest downloading wmp11, wmp is a tad old now. Also you could do worse than downloading codecs for wmp click here

There is also the possibility that your media files have become corrupt somehow. Is your av and antispy up to date?

Jak_1 20:06 06 Nov 06

Should read:

Suggest downloading wmp11, wmp9 is a tad old now.

GazMaz 23:14 06 Nov 06

I think I'd already tried those codecs, I tried them again anyway, no use sent system into a fit, at least I was albe to end the process through TASK MANAGER.
WMP11 is only for XP me thinks, might try it anyway if I dare!
I use AVG (subscribe) uptodate and scanned.
Lavasoft Adaware (subscribe) uptodate.
Counter spy trial, Spybot trial both updated, no issues!

GazMaz 19:29 08 Nov 06

I reloaded the Microsoft .NET program (by mistake more than anything) and the files now play but with only sound, but it's a start.
Any more idea's?

skidzy 19:35 08 Nov 06

Try the full codec package Gaz and reboot. click here

skidzy 19:41 08 Nov 06

Just a thought Gaz,have you added the graphics card yourself...if so,is the onboard graphics been disabled in the bios.

GazMaz 22:00 08 Nov 06

Skidzy I've tried the K codec package before and it didn't work, that was with a different card and for a different reason, the site you directed me to is a subscriber site (payement required), are yousure that's what I need surely MS Media Player site should have all the codec's I need?
Yes the onboard graphics are diabled.

woodchip 22:25 08 Nov 06

Stick your XP CD in the computer from Run Type.

SFC /SCANNOW

GazMaz 22:33 08 Nov 06

Will that be on the W2k disc also?
system = W2K

GazMaz 22:37 08 Nov 06

Am doing it so yes it is for W2K, will let you know results

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…