video files wont de-frag

hi all, been downloading video files - to be played with vlc, just tried to de frag and theyre still fragmented, tried a reboot same result - any one got any ideas pls

eedcam 22:31 15 Nov 07

I often find after a defrag it is video files that cant be defragged I think it is the nature of the beast.

hi Marg7, ok its a 107 Gb drive with 14% free (15.74 Gb), it seems to de-frag real quick leaving shed loads of fragmented files
(log included in post )
how does chkdisk work, could you advise pls

eedcam , ive DL'd 100'sGb of video over a period of years, and have never experianced a drive that wont de-frag, is it possible you have the same issues as me ??

Volume HP_PAVILION (C:)
Volume siz = 107 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 90.98 GB
Free space = 16.07 GB
Percent free space = 15 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 18 %
File fragmentation = 36 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 148,553
Average file size = 1 MB
Total fragmented files = 82
Total excess fragments = 438,493
Average fragments per file = 3.95

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 1.95 GB
Total fragments = 21

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 13,107
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 168 MB
MFT record count = 167,602
Percent MFT in use = 97 %
Total MFT fragments = 4

--------------------------------------------------

all help much appriciated folks , thanks

eedcam 08:55 16 Nov 07

Hi Mole 15G/b is no space really with video particularly editing Also there is a bottom limit for defragging I think 15 is pretty close as defrag needs 12% space I just got that warning with 15.8 space on drive. I'll do one today and post the failure to compare

eedcam 10:17 16 Nov 07

Here's defrag list as I said all video connected in my case
Volume Winxp (C:)
Volume size = 74.52 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 41.73 GB
Free space = 32.79 GB
Percent free space = 44 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 11 %
File fragmentation = 22 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 106,292
Average file size = 597 KB
Total fragmented files = 7
Total excess fragments = 21,789
Average fragments per file = 1.20

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 1.50 GB
Total fragments = 4

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 8,242
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 153 MB
MFT record count = 115,237
Percent MFT in use = 73 %
Total MFT fragments = 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
749 1,018 MB \Program Files\GUI for dvdauthor\OutDir\DVD\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB
826 1,024 MB \Program Files\GUI for dvdauthor\OutDir\DVD\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
3,063 1.02 GB \RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-725345543-2052111302-2147133589-1005\Dc31.wav
6,569 1.99 GB \Program Files\GUI for dvdauthor\OutDir\Temp\silentwitness.mpg
10,582 2.75 GB \MyVideos\_BBC TWO_20071013_203021.mpg

hi eedcam, im not able to make sense of the comparison really, ive freed c off to 21% (22.7Gb)and still finding massive fragmentation - although each time i de-frag im noticing small changes while files are being compacted, as if its chewing through it a bit at a time ( eureka ) its been a while since it had a good one so maybee this is our solution - keep running it ?

eedcam 13:32 16 Nov 07

Me neither |Mole though my videos are in various formats would think it is Space available in your case .For the record I have also a 350G/b drive with 325G/b space and still was analysed as needing defrag

postie24 15:51 16 Nov 07

Try defragging with this program

click here

Les28 16:10 16 Nov 07

The free space shown available in Windows Defragger is a total overall figure of free space on the drive, I use Perfect Disk to defrag and it shows the largest single available piece of free space as well as the combined total figure of free space, I mention this for two reasons, the first being that a 2Gb file will need at least 2Gb of free space to be defragged into and secondly both eedcam and Mole-Inc seem to have a lot of fragmentation, including page file fragmention which spread over the drive could perhaps prevent large free space blocks being available to defrag a large file into.

Have a look here about pagefile fragmentation

click here

I have reduced the Windows default cache sizes for temp internet files, recycle bin and system restore to try and maximise free space.

The defrag prog I mentioned Perfect Disk will allow a single file to be defragged, in fact they mention as an example a video or audio file that might be skipping. I have just analysed one of my drives, it has 57 Gb free out of 80Gb and the largest single free space is 18Gb.

I capture video from my camcorder a lot and find it pays to defrag after each capture and after editing and it seems to work OK.
Maybe you could copy the videos to disc, then delete from the hard drive then do a defrag, then put one video back at a time and defrag if needed after each one is added, Les.

cheers les, ill try that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac