Video files not accessible.

SOFTWARE SID 13:03 01 Dec 04

Peculiar problem here - I am being plagued by .avi, .mpg and .wmv files which cannot be opened, and also cannot be deleted.

When I attempt to do either, the machine 'freezes' for a few second and I get a Doctor Watson postmortem debugger message. When that's done it's thing, I have to reboot the machine and start again.

Some of the troublesome files have been downloaded from the net, but others have been recorded using my USB Freeview box.

O.S. is Windows XP sp2.

Any thoughts as to where I'm going wrong?

JaßîsFaß ˜ 23:08 01 Dec 04

Do you get any errors like?

Invalid File Format. (Error=8004022F)
-or-
Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported. (Error=80040265)
-or-
Cannot play back the video stream: no suitable decompressor could be found. (Error=80040255)
-or-
No combination of filters could be found to render the stream. (Error=80040218)
-or-
The source filter for this file could not be loaded. (Error=80040241)
-or-
Cannot open. Please verify that the path and filename are correct and try again (Error=8007000D).

If so click here

woodchip 23:14 01 Dec 04

You need encoder’s to read the files. Have a look click here=

woodchip 23:32 01 Dec 04

These are the ones you are looking for not the other link. click here=

woodchip 23:35 01 Dec 04

Or hear click here=

SOFTWARE SID 15:41 02 Dec 04

Thanks Jabidfab and Woodchip. I will take a look at the encoders tonight (Iam on a different machine right now) and report back.

I'm not getting the error message Jabisfab described - only the Dr Watson message. All a bit puzzling!

SOFTWARE SID 21:18 02 Dec 04

Checked my codecs - and I have the latest version of Windows Media Player. I just recorded about 15 seconds worth of mpeg from my USB Freeview box, and this time it played back o.k., but I got a Doctor Watson debugger error a few seconds afterwards. I then had to shut down Dr Watson in task manager in order to rgain control of the P.C.

Could the problem be hard disk damage in the sector I'm using to store the mpeg's? I did a defrag yesterday, but it seems to have had no impact on the problem.

woodchip 22:20 02 Dec 04

Do a Scandisk to check and mark out bad clusters on HD

SOFTWARE SID 09:47 03 Dec 04

Thanks for the idea ...Ran Scandisk overnight. Still got the problem this morning. Worth trying anyway!

However, I've saved a Word document to the folder I'm keeping my videos in, and been able to open and close the document without any error messages.

I've also saved an mpeg to a different partition on the hard drive, and encountered the symptoms outlined in my first post.

Very puzzling!

SOFTWARE SID 18:01 03 Dec 04

Still struggling - I've tried changing the file associations for mpg's from Windows Media Player to Div-x player, and still having the same problems, when accessing the files through Explorer. However, if I fire up the Div-x player first, and then select the file, it behaves impeccably - so that might have to be a slightly cumbersome workaround.

Any further ideas very welcome!

ACOLYTE 18:18 03 Dec 04

Have you got any plugins running in wmp if so try stopping them,the one that causes most hassle is the nero plugin,also some g card drivers have effects on playback ie:,the screen flickers when you right click the video file and sometimes locks up,the only workaround i found was to open the file by selecting playlists and adding them to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…