video files crash windows explorer

Master T 18:16 14 Apr 06

if i download any video clips or anything thats a video as soon as i open the folder that the video is in windows explorer will crash even if i move the file to another folder it does the same. the file still plays if i open it but then i have a window saying windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close in front of me =/ also windows media player will not play any videos as that crashes as well it will play music fine but not vids, but the videos will play in divx player and winamp. this has only started to happen when windows media player said it needed to download a licence to view a video clip and after this video files crash windows explorer.

anyone got any ideas whats goin on

Master T 19:19 14 Apr 06

managed to fix it after an hour of browsing google it said to open dos and tpye this in

To remove media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
To readd media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 shmedia.dll

after doing that everything is find just thought i would say incase anyone else has this problem

wbiggchiefy 19:21 14 Apr 06

1. Don't use WMP to play video - there are much better players available - personally I would recommend the following (or you may already have them installed as part of your package when you bought your PC) - Power DVD, or WIN DVD - alternatively you could download VLAN player from vlan.org which I have found seems to work fine with most files.
It may be that windows explorer crashes due to some problem with WMP but this is just a guess.
Try another program to play videos and see if the same thing happens - if it does post back. Oh there is also the question of codecs for the video you are trying to play but if you need help with this post back as there are loads of codec packs available free on the net but as always you should beware of what you download.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…