Video editing software

m800afc 15:49 24 May 07

I am about to start copying my saved TV recordings from VHS to DVD RW. I am in need of video editing software to tidy up the recordings. I want to be able to edit out the commercial breaks, clean up the start and end of the program, and to generate and insert basic captions. I do not need an all singing and all dancing Hollywood epic jobbie, just one that will do the basics so that I can copy to DVD R. I think my recorder records VOB files. I would like to try before I buy.

Do any of the members of this august forum have any experience of doing this, and suggest the appropriate software.

Cheers.

recap 16:04 24 May 07

click here there may be something for you on the site?

pj123 16:15 24 May 07

I use Pinnacle Studio 9 which came with my Dazzle Capture Unit.

Doesn't appear to be available anymore but later versions are not free: click here

bjh 16:36 24 May 07

For being FREE, ease of use, simple, try Windows Movie maker.... It should already be on your computer, if you run XP or above.

I have used both Pinnacle and Magix software. Both are fairly involved for the tasks you list. Magix Movie Edit is fairly cheap, but not intuitive and not quick to pick up.
Windows movie Maker is greatly underrated - to the extent that many people don't even know it is on their machine!!! Usually Start...Accessories....Entertainment

eedcam 17:58 24 May 07

WMM doesn't play dvd's so how can he use that nor can it burn to dvd without exporting as dv-avi=massive files and using Nero .Would suggest try Video-redo free fully working trial and and good support forum .Straightforward editing and commercial removal alas also does require 3rd party to burn

eedcam 18:00 24 May 07

Word of warning some recorders lose the aspect ratio when you play the dvd in the pc VDR can correct this also

Woolwell 18:09 24 May 07

What is your burning software? It may come with basic video editing.

Not clear from your post how you are going to go from VHS to PC.

eedcam 18:14 24 May 07

I took it as vhs to dvd recorder to pc

m800afc 20:41 30 May 07

Eedcam:
Thanks very much for suggesting VideoReDo. Just what I wanted.

Next logical step:
Can anyone recommend a free/free to try authoring programme that I can use to get the results of Video ReDo onto a DVD I can watch in my DVD player.

woodchip 20:58 30 May 07

If this is for TV films then It's not recommended. Unless you want someone knocking on your door

m800afc 21:34 30 May 07

Its for footage I made when in charge of an AV centre many moons ago. I hold copyright

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac